Wauwatosa East dropped a 42-6 decision to Milwaukee Riverside at Milwaukee Custer Stadium Thursday night in the opening game for each school.
The Red Raiders trailed only 21-6 going into the final period, when the Tigers exploded for 21 points, the final two scores coming on a 66-yard run by Dominique Rhodes and a 22-yard fumble recovery by linebacker Jeremy Gordon, his second defensive touchdown of the night.
East initially fell behind with 7 minutes, 11 seconds in the first quarter when Nick Schlitz fumbled on the Riverside 25-line line and Gordon picked it up and raced down the sidelines for the score. The point after attempt was muffed and the Tigers led, 6-0.
The Tigers then converted a 10-play, 79-yard drive with 22 seconds left in the first half, when Barry Beverly scored on a trap play from three yards out. Quarterback John D’Amato then tossed a two-point conversion pass to Geoffrey Bacon for a 14-0 lead at intermission.
Laron Richardson then took the opening kick-off 89 yards for a 21-0 lead to start the third period and Tosa countered with its only score of the night, a beautiful 30-yard touchdown pass from Ethan Harris to Jake Larson down the right sideline.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach sees plenty of positives
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team looking to compete in GMC
- Wauwatosa East spikers have happy ending despite rough journey
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team has plenty of talent back
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team rallies in fourth quarter
- Hudson walks away with top Wauwatosa West volleyball honors
- Imperiale likes Wauwatosa West girls basketball team's balance
- Wauwatosa West swimmers announce team awards
- Wauwatosa West girls had an 'accomplished' year
- Wauwatosa East swimmers honor Ripple, Peura, Tuffnell