Wauwatosa East dropped a 42-6 decision to Milwaukee Riverside at Milwaukee Custer Stadium Thursday night in the opening game for each school.
The Red Raiders trailed only 21-6 going into the final period, when the Tigers exploded for 21 points, the final two scores coming on a 66-yard run by Dominique Rhodes and a 22-yard fumble recovery by linebacker Jeremy Gordon, his second defensive touchdown of the night.
East initially fell behind with 7 minutes, 11 seconds in the first quarter when Nick Schlitz fumbled on the Riverside 25-line line and Gordon picked it up and raced down the sidelines for the score. The point after attempt was muffed and the Tigers led, 6-0.
The Tigers then converted a 10-play, 79-yard drive with 22 seconds left in the first half, when Barry Beverly scored on a trap play from three yards out. Quarterback John D’Amato then tossed a two-point conversion pass to Geoffrey Bacon for a 14-0 lead at intermission.
Laron Richardson then took the opening kick-off 89 yards for a 21-0 lead to start the third period and Tosa countered with its only score of the night, a beautiful 30-yard touchdown pass from Ethan Harris to Jake Larson down the right sideline.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Wauwatosa East girls softball team outslugs Bulldogs
- Younger Wauwatosa West soccer players impressing Bailey
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team ties with Falls in GMC opener
- Price to lead Wauwatosa West boys tennis team
- Young Homestead boys tennis team still figuring things out
- Tight End Camp set for June 17-18
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team surprised the critics
- Gardiner returns large, youthful girls track team for Wauwatosa East
- Sport Shorts: April 16, 2015