Upstart Wauwatosa East took some of the shine off the battle for first place in the Greater Metro Conference Tuesday night by beating Brookfield East, 6-5, in eight innings while Brookfield Central held off Marquette, 3-1.
The Lancers (13-3) will travel to Brookfield East (12-5) on Thursday and then the Spartans will head to McCoy Field on Friday for a big two-game series.
Central did it's part Tuesday night by beating Marquette, 3-1, as Ryan Hinz came on with the bases loaded and one out in the seventh and got a strikeout and a grounder back to the mound to end the game.
Ricky Leachy tripled and scored on Pete Ostergaard's RBI-single in the first inning. Matt Upson singled and Tim Peterson doubled in the two-run fourth inning. Matt Gordon scored pinch-runner Collin O'Gorman with a suicide squeeze bunt and Peterson scored on an error for a 3-0 lead.
Collin Weyer of Wauwatosa pitched a complete game for the Hilltoppers (7-10), allowing two earned runs, seven hits while fanning four. Mike Mierow got the win, working 6.1 innings, allowing four hits, five walks and a hit batter and fanned two.
Across town, Brookfield East led 3-1 when Tosa East (4-13) scored a run in the fifth and three more in the sixth for a 5-3 lead. The Spartans then scored single runs in the sixth and seventh innings to send the game into extra innings.
The Red Raiders' Alex Halverson led off the eighth against Jake Schaffhauser with a triple to right center and that brought Scott Bergquist in to pitch for the Spartans. Bergquist got the dangerous Danny Sayles looking, but then hit Tyler O'Brien. Brian Shank then drilled a sacrifice fly to center field for the winning run.
Sayles, who pitched the final 1.2 innings in relief of Jake Pipping, retired the side in the bottom of the inning despite two hard hit balls by Brian Sylla and Zach Stewart.
The last-place Red Raiders have handed the Spartans two of their five GMC losses.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Baun wins three events as Brown Deer trackmen third in Woodland
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team loses heartbreaker to Brookfield East
- Wauwatosa East whips West 11-1 at Helfaer Field
- Wauwatosa West girls win 21st Woodland Championship
- Wauwatosa East returns nine letter winners on the diamond
- Jacksons of Wauwatosa West earn two first-place finishes
- Wauwatosa West's Price wins No. 1 singles championship at Woodland tennis tourney
- Trojans win 2 of 3 on the diamond
- Widder earns WIAC Scholar-Athlete Award
- Wauwatosa East boys fifth, girls seventh at GMC Relays