Upstart Wauwatosa East took some of the shine off the battle for first place in the Greater Metro Conference Tuesday night by beating Brookfield East, 6-5, in eight innings while Brookfield Central held off Marquette, 3-1.
The Lancers (13-3) will travel to Brookfield East (12-5) on Thursday and then the Spartans will head to McCoy Field on Friday for a big two-game series.
Central did it's part Tuesday night by beating Marquette, 3-1, as Ryan Hinz came on with the bases loaded and one out in the seventh and got a strikeout and a grounder back to the mound to end the game.
Ricky Leachy tripled and scored on Pete Ostergaard's RBI-single in the first inning. Matt Upson singled and Tim Peterson doubled in the two-run fourth inning. Matt Gordon scored pinch-runner Collin O'Gorman with a suicide squeeze bunt and Peterson scored on an error for a 3-0 lead.
Collin Weyer of Wauwatosa pitched a complete game for the Hilltoppers (7-10), allowing two earned runs, seven hits while fanning four. Mike Mierow got the win, working 6.1 innings, allowing four hits, five walks and a hit batter and fanned two.
Across town, Brookfield East led 3-1 when Tosa East (4-13) scored a run in the fifth and three more in the sixth for a 5-3 lead. The Spartans then scored single runs in the sixth and seventh innings to send the game into extra innings.
The Red Raiders' Alex Halverson led off the eighth against Jake Schaffhauser with a triple to right center and that brought Scott Bergquist in to pitch for the Spartans. Bergquist got the dangerous Danny Sayles looking, but then hit Tyler O'Brien. Brian Shank then drilled a sacrifice fly to center field for the winning run.
Sayles, who pitched the final 1.2 innings in relief of Jake Pipping, retired the side in the bottom of the inning despite two hard hit balls by Brian Sylla and Zach Stewart.
The last-place Red Raiders have handed the Spartans two of their five GMC losses.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trojans fall in regional title game to Whitefish Bay
- Larson named Hurricanes MVP
- Girls basketball: Whitefish Bay girls win regional title for injured Jonas, 31-27
- Girls basketball: Tosa East girls basketball team falls short against Wisconsin Lutheran
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West upsets Shorewood
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball whips Milwaukee Madison
- West advances with 75-4 win over James Madison
- Bad fourth quarter ends Wauwatosa West boys basketball team's season
- Jr. Raiders set registration dates
- Castaneda earns medal at state wrestling