Brookfield East rallied for four runs in the sixth inning and beat Wauwatosa East, 6-3, tonight at Breitlow Field.
Righthander Eric Woodward held off the Spartans as Tosa East led 2-1 going into the sixth inning. Winning pitcher Jake Janowski then singled, Kevin Sylla walked and Jake Schaffhauser was hit by a pitch to load the bases with no one out.
Matt Talbot then singled to right field to tie the game and Tosa East ace Dan Sayles came in to try and stop the rally. But East coach Tim Granger pinch hit Scott Bergquist and he smashed a ball down the third base line which hit the bag and went into left field scoring two runs for a 4-2 lead. Zach Sines then hit a sacrifice fly for the fourth run of the inning.
Talbot singled in another run in the seventh for a 6-2 lead and the Red Raiders matched it when Sayles singled in a run in the bottom of the inning, but Janowski struck out the final hitter to end the game.
Janowski finished with nine strikeouts, six hits, two walks and a hit batter.
The Spartans improved to 12-4 with the win while the Raiders fell to 3-13 in Greater Metro play. Both teams meet at Brookfield East on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay softball tourney and field a big success
- Trojans win 2 of 3 on the diamond
- Widder earns WIAC Scholar-Athlete Award
- Wauwatosa East boys fifth, girls seventh at GMC Relays
- Wauwatosa East blasts Bulldogs, nips Spartans
- Late goal keeps Homestead girls soccer team in North Shore lead
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team ties top-ranked DSHA
- Wauwatosa East tennis team second at Beaver Dam Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls almost upset Arrowhead
- Wauwatosa West boys track and field team fourth in Woodland Relays