Brookfield East rallied for four runs in the sixth inning and beat Wauwatosa East, 6-3, tonight at Breitlow Field.
Righthander Eric Woodward held off the Spartans as Tosa East led 2-1 going into the sixth inning. Winning pitcher Jake Janowski then singled, Kevin Sylla walked and Jake Schaffhauser was hit by a pitch to load the bases with no one out.
Matt Talbot then singled to right field to tie the game and Tosa East ace Dan Sayles came in to try and stop the rally. But East coach Tim Granger pinch hit Scott Bergquist and he smashed a ball down the third base line which hit the bag and went into left field scoring two runs for a 4-2 lead. Zach Sines then hit a sacrifice fly for the fourth run of the inning.
Talbot singled in another run in the seventh for a 6-2 lead and the Red Raiders matched it when Sayles singled in a run in the bottom of the inning, but Janowski struck out the final hitter to end the game.
Janowski finished with nine strikeouts, six hits, two walks and a hit batter.
The Spartans improved to 12-4 with the win while the Raiders fell to 3-13 in Greater Metro play. Both teams meet at Brookfield East on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team bounces back for victory
- Wauwatosa East volleyball team wins thriller against Trojans
- Wauwatosa East soccer team ties second-ranked Cedarburg
- Wauwatosa West football team blanks Vikings, earns playoff spot
- Wauwatosa East boys cross country team finished second at the Purgold Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys volleyball team beats Cedarburg
- Wauwatosa West swimmers defeat Greendale
- Wauwatosa East, West girls cross-country teams finish third, fourth at Purgold Invitational
- Wauwatosa West girls tennis finishes second in Woodland Tennis Tournament
- Wauwatosa West kickers split four games