Eric Neal missed a desperation 3-point shot at the buzzer and Milwaukee Washington held on to beat defending state champion Wauwatosa East, 60-57, in overtime Saturday night at the Al McGuire Center.
After Stanley Hobson made only 1-of-2 free throws with 14.7 seconds left, Tosa East came down and tried to work a play. Knowing the Red Raiders had to make a 3 to tie the game, the Purgolders guarded everyone closely. Finally with the clock running out, Neal took an NBA 3-pointer past the top of the key, but the ball hit the back of the rim, went straight in the air and fell off and Washington got the rebound and the win.
Neal, who finished with 11 points, scored five points in the overtime, as Washington had a 10-7 advantage. The Red Raiders got into overtime when Eric Williams took an inbound pass under his own basket from Dan Sayles and flipped up a shot with 0.4 seconds left to play, tying the game at 50-50.
Washington improved to 22-1. Tosa East finished 18-5.
Mike Cupertino had 12 points, including three 3s in the fourth quarter, to lead the Red Raiders, while Barett Powell had 11 and Keondre Gholston added 10. Quevy Winters led Washington with 17, Terry Taylor had 12 and Antone Byrd had 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 23
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Wauwatosa West football team eliminated from playoff chase
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014
- Wauwatosa West Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014
- Wauwatosa West kickers lose in 2 OTs
- Wauwatosa West boys finish week 2-1
- Wauwatosa East's Potter wins GMC Championship
- Two doubles teams win twice at state
- Football: Wauwatosa East falls to Hamilton in finale