Eric Neal missed a desperation 3-point shot at the buzzer and Milwaukee Washington held on to beat defending state champion Wauwatosa East, 60-57, in overtime Saturday night at the Al McGuire Center.
After Stanley Hobson made only 1-of-2 free throws with 14.7 seconds left, Tosa East came down and tried to work a play. Knowing the Red Raiders had to make a 3 to tie the game, the Purgolders guarded everyone closely. Finally with the clock running out, Neal took an NBA 3-pointer past the top of the key, but the ball hit the back of the rim, went straight in the air and fell off and Washington got the rebound and the win.
Neal, who finished with 11 points, scored five points in the overtime, as Washington had a 10-7 advantage. The Red Raiders got into overtime when Eric Williams took an inbound pass under his own basket from Dan Sayles and flipped up a shot with 0.4 seconds left to play, tying the game at 50-50.
Washington improved to 22-1. Tosa East finished 18-5.
Mike Cupertino had 12 points, including three 3s in the fourth quarter, to lead the Red Raiders, while Barett Powell had 11 and Keondre Gholston added 10. Quevy Winters led Washington with 17, Terry Taylor had 12 and Antone Byrd had 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West