There will be no Tosa vs. Tosa rematch.
Wauwatosa West lost, 59-44, in a WIAA regional final at Marquette on March 7, bringing the Trojans' season to an end.
Marquette (18-2-1) will play Wauwatosa East in a sectional semifinal at the Al McGuire Center at 8 p.m. Friday, March 13. The Red Raiders beat Bay View, 68-56, earlier in the day to advance.
The Trojans (10-12) looked poised to play their crosstown rival after a solid first half against the Hilltoppers. Tosa West held Marquette to 1-of-12 shooting in the second quarter and built a 26-21 halftime lead.
The Trojans, however, could not keep up the pace against the Greater Metro Conference champions after intermission. In the third quarter, Tosa West shot just 3-of-12 and was outscored, 17-6, and Marquette never looked back.
Garrett Maloney finished with a game-high 18 points and Sam Beres had 12 for the Hilltoppers, who have won 13 straight games and are unbeaten (one tie) in their last 15.
Bendell Lee and Andy Minkley had 11 points apiece for the Trojans, who lost to the defending state champion Red Raiders in a nonconference game earlier this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 3, 2015
- Despite loss, Wauwatosa East's defense continues to shine
- Wauwatosa West football team beats Grafton to start season 2-0 once again
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team takes second at Early Bird tournament
- Wauwatosa West boys soccer team goes 1-1-1 at Muskego Quad
- Wauwatosa West girls tennis team nips Vikings
- Wauwatosa East boys soccer team get off to 2-0 start
- Wauwatosa East boys cross-country team has good week
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple, West's Larson excel at Early Bird swimming invite
- Wauwatosa East girls cross-country team looking for good things