The Bay View Redcats were approximately 4 minutes away from guaranteeing the state of Wisconsin would have a new WIAA Division 1 boys basketball champion.
But behind a late, spirited run, the Wauwatosa East Red Raiders, last year's champion, pulled out a 68-56 home regional final win over the Redcats on March 7.
Bay View (10-12) took a 45-44 lead on Joeseph Woodland's 3-pointer with 4 minutes, 52 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Tosa East senior Fraizier Reiland, however, answered with a 3 at 4:11, starting a game-ending 24-11 Red Raider run.
Reiland, who added another 3 and a three-point play during the late run, finished with a game-high 19 points for the Red Raiders (17-4), who have won seven of their last eight games. Barett Powell added 11.
Woodland finished with 16 for the Redcats, and Antoine Howard had 15.
Tosa East will play the winner of tonight's regional final between Marquette and Wauwatosa West in a sectional semifinal at the Al McGuire Center at 8 p.m. Friday, March 13. The Red Raiders lost twice to Marquette, the Greater Metro Conference champion, during the regular season but beat Tosa West during a nonconference game in December.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season
- Cavs, Dashers beat Tosa East
- Wauwatosa West boys track wins Case Classic Invitational
- Tosa East boys tennis team returns eight letterwinners
- East kickers blanked Pius, 2-0, for first win
- Ashley Lindstrom named Wauwatosa West girls basketball MVP