The Bay View Redcats were approximately 4 minutes away from guaranteeing the state of Wisconsin would have a new WIAA Division 1 boys basketball champion.
But behind a late, spirited run, the Wauwatosa East Red Raiders, last year's champion, pulled out a 68-56 home regional final win over the Redcats on March 7.
Bay View (10-12) took a 45-44 lead on Joeseph Woodland's 3-pointer with 4 minutes, 52 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Tosa East senior Fraizier Reiland, however, answered with a 3 at 4:11, starting a game-ending 24-11 Red Raider run.
Reiland, who added another 3 and a three-point play during the late run, finished with a game-high 19 points for the Red Raiders (17-4), who have won seven of their last eight games. Barett Powell added 11.
Woodland finished with 16 for the Redcats, and Antoine Howard had 15.
Tosa East will play the winner of tonight's regional final between Marquette and Wauwatosa West in a sectional semifinal at the Al McGuire Center at 8 p.m. Friday, March 13. The Red Raiders lost twice to Marquette, the Greater Metro Conference champion, during the regular season but beat Tosa West during a nonconference game in December.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team wins Shorewood Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys go 3-1 at Racine Park invite
- Mystery Photo Contest: Sept. 18
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa West netters win two conference matches
- Wauwatosa East's Potter takes second at Rocket Invite
- Wauwatosa West swimmers whip Greendale
- Wauwatosa East drops key GMC match to Lancers
- Wauwatosa East girls finish 7th at Rocket Invitational
- Football: Tosa East has enough to ward off Bulldogs