Wauwatosa West beat Oak Creek, 55-46, in a regional semifinal game at Tosa West Tuesday night behind 20 points by Ray Sterling and a great all-around game by Sam Krenzien.
Sterling poured in 20 points, while Krenzien had eight points, eight rebounds and six assists. Andy Minkley had 13 points, seven in the final period, and Bendell Lee had 10 points. Nick Stout had 15 points for Oak Creek and Chad San Agustin and Danny Rajchel had 10 each.
The win sends the Trojans to Marquette (17-2-1) Saturday night for an 8 p.m. regional title game with the Hilltoppers, the champions of the Greater Metro Conference and a team that beat Tosa East twice in conference play.
Rajchel sank a basket with 46.6 to play in the first half to give Oak Creek a slim 25-24 lead at intermission. But Tosa West had a 17-5 third-quarter advantage to coast into the fourth period with a 41-30 lead as Sterling had six points and Lee four to spark the run. Rajchel had all five of the Knights' points in the quarter.
Tosa West opened a 12-point lead at 44-32 with 4 minutes, 47 seconds left to play, but the Knights rallied to within 44-40 as San Agustin and Rajchel each hit 3's and Stout added a lay-up.
Tosa West coach Mike Landisch called an timeout and the Trojans outscored Oak Creek the rest of the way, 11-6, hitting 11-of-13 free throws the rest of the way.
Oak Creek finishes the year with a 5-16 record, having lost the last seven games. Tosa West is now 10-11 on the season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls basketball: Whitefish Bay girls win regional title for injured Jonas, 31-27
- Girls basketball: Tosa East falls short against Wisco
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West upsets Shorewood
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball whips Milwaukee Madison
- West advances with 75-4 win over James Madison
- Bad fourth quarter ends Wauwatosa West boys basketball team's season
- Jr. Raiders set registration dates
- Castaneda earns medal at state wrestling
- Boys basketball: Whitefish Bay finds its tempo, downs Tosa East
- Boys basketball: Messmer rallies to beat Tosa West