By being the aggressor throughout his state quarterfinal bout with South Milwaukee's Bill Mitchell (39-5) Thursday night, Wauwatosa 285-pound wrestler Glen Kendl was able to earn a stalling apoint with three seconds remaining and take a 3-2 decision in the WIAA State Individual Tournament at the Kohl Center in Madison.
With the win, the senior claimed a berth in the semifinals at 7 p.m. Friday back at the Kohl Center against Wisconsin Rapids Curt Fuller (38-2). The finals will be at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Kendl (39-2), who was bouncing back from a rare defeat in the sectional finals the previous weekend, pinned first-round opponent Jake Hoerchner of Menomonee Falls (25-15) in 1:38 to earn the match-up with Mitchell. Both wrestlers were on their feet with Mitchell backing up when Kendl earned the stalling point.
"This feels really good," Kendl said. "I kind of put it (the loss) away, pushed it to the back of my mind and used it to help make me better."
Because after previous state frustration, there is only one goal that he has in mind: To win it all.
"I've always had a lot of incentive," he said. "I just came here to get the job done."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team uses big second half to beat Wisconsin Lutheran
- Plenty of positives in Wauwatosa West girls' basketball loss to Kettle Moraine
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team could battle for GMC title
- Wauwatosa West swimming team has bright future with talented underclassmen on the rise
- MacGillis, Barkow share Wauwatosa West boys volleyball MVP honors
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team looks for improvement
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes return three state qualifiers — Danny Larson, Cal Hartt, Avery Weishoff
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards