By being the aggressor throughout his state quarterfinal bout with South Milwaukee's Bill Mitchell (39-5) Thursday night, Wauwatosa 285-pound wrestler Glen Kendl was able to earn a stalling apoint with three seconds remaining and take a 3-2 decision in the WIAA State Individual Tournament at the Kohl Center in Madison.
With the win, the senior claimed a berth in the semifinals at 7 p.m. Friday back at the Kohl Center against Wisconsin Rapids Curt Fuller (38-2). The finals will be at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Kendl (39-2), who was bouncing back from a rare defeat in the sectional finals the previous weekend, pinned first-round opponent Jake Hoerchner of Menomonee Falls (25-15) in 1:38 to earn the match-up with Mitchell. Both wrestlers were on their feet with Mitchell backing up when Kendl earned the stalling point.
"This feels really good," Kendl said. "I kind of put it (the loss) away, pushed it to the back of my mind and used it to help make me better."
Because after previous state frustration, there is only one goal that he has in mind: To win it all.
"I've always had a lot of incentive," he said. "I just came here to get the job done."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West