Marquette used a big third quarter to roll over Wauwatosa East, 60-43, and win the Greater Metro Conference Championship Thursday night at MUHS.
The Hilltoppers finished with a 13-1 record while Tosa East was 12-2, with both losses coming to Marquette.
Trailing 19-14 with 3 minutes and 7 seconds left in the half, Marquette went on a 9-4 run, as Sam Beres shot two 3-pointers and Mike Fertl hit a third one on the buzzer to tie the game at 23-23 at intermission and take away the Red Raiders momentum.
The Hilltoppers then came out and went on a 16-3 run to start the third quarter, as they took over control of the backboards, ran their offense flawlessly and set up a zone that the Red Raiders couldn't shoot over or drive through. Several times the Red Raiders looked totally lost and forced shots as the disciplined Hilltoppers took control of the game.
Garrett Maloney, who was shut out in the first half, scored 13 second-half points, and Beres finished with a game-high 18 points as he ran the offense brilliantly.
Eric Williams led Tosa East with 13 points.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Nine starters returning for Wauwatosa co-op wrestling team
- Wauwatosa co-ed swim team grows in numbers
- Sophomore Celia Ripple named Tosa East's Most Valuable Swimmer
- Plaisted named boys volleyball state player of the year
- Slow start dooms Tosa West boys basketball team in Woodland opener
- Ederesinghe scores 18 in Tosa East boys basketball team's opener
- Larson earns Tosa West's Most Valuable swimmer honors
- Purifoy, Lewis, Veit named Tosa West football MVPs
- Niles named West boys volleyball MVP
- Football: Wauwatosa West last played for state football title in 1982