Marquette used a big third quarter to roll over Wauwatosa East, 60-43, and win the Greater Metro Conference Championship Thursday night at MUHS.
The Hilltoppers finished with a 13-1 record while Tosa East was 12-2, with both losses coming to Marquette.
Trailing 19-14 with 3 minutes and 7 seconds left in the half, Marquette went on a 9-4 run, as Sam Beres shot two 3-pointers and Mike Fertl hit a third one on the buzzer to tie the game at 23-23 at intermission and take away the Red Raiders momentum.
The Hilltoppers then came out and went on a 16-3 run to start the third quarter, as they took over control of the backboards, ran their offense flawlessly and set up a zone that the Red Raiders couldn't shoot over or drive through. Several times the Red Raiders looked totally lost and forced shots as the disciplined Hilltoppers took control of the game.
Garrett Maloney, who was shut out in the first half, scored 13 second-half points, and Beres finished with a game-high 18 points as he ran the offense brilliantly.
Eric Williams led Tosa East with 13 points.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Notes: April 24
- McLin leads talented young Trojans
- Treatment Trail fundraiser is June 14 to 22
- Trojans netters look to compete
- 3 former West volleyball players win national club championship
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season