Marquette used a big third quarter to roll over Wauwatosa East, 60-43, and win the Greater Metro Conference Championship Thursday night at MUHS.
The Hilltoppers finished with a 13-1 record while Tosa East was 12-2, with both losses coming to Marquette.
Trailing 19-14 with 3 minutes and 7 seconds left in the half, Marquette went on a 9-4 run, as Sam Beres shot two 3-pointers and Mike Fertl hit a third one on the buzzer to tie the game at 23-23 at intermission and take away the Red Raiders momentum.
The Hilltoppers then came out and went on a 16-3 run to start the third quarter, as they took over control of the backboards, ran their offense flawlessly and set up a zone that the Red Raiders couldn't shoot over or drive through. Several times the Red Raiders looked totally lost and forced shots as the disciplined Hilltoppers took control of the game.
Garrett Maloney, who was shut out in the first half, scored 13 second-half points, and Beres finished with a game-high 18 points as he ran the offense brilliantly.
Eric Williams led Tosa East with 13 points.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West's inexperience affects season in close losses
- Six Wauwatosa East baseball players earn GMC honors on some level
- Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Jr. Trojans set baseball tryouts for U9-U14 teams
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale