Wauwatosa East rallied to beat Sussex Hamilton, 57-56, in overtime before a near-packed house Friday night in the final regular season home game of the year.
Barret Powell stole the inbounds pass and then raced down the court to score on a layup with eight seconds left to play in overtime. Hamilton called a timeout to set up a final play for Kameron Cerroni, who finished with 30 points.
Cerroni got the ball, was picked up by Keondre Gholston and then double teamed and took a shot from the top of the key that bounced off the rim. Brent Meinecke grabbed the rebound, tried a shot from the left side and Powell blocked that shot. But Cerroni picked up the ball and threw up a desperation 3-pointer which once again missed and Larry Bradley grabbed the rebound as time ran out.
Ironically, Cerroni, who was 10-for-10 from the free throw line, missed his second free throw with 11.9 on the clock and Hamilton leading 51-49. Eric Williams got the rebound and flipped it to Gholston, who drove the length of the floor and sank a pull-up jumper to tie the game with 4.5 seconds left.
Eric Reimer then missed a 3-pointer from the left side to send the game into overtime.
Meinecke and Vinnie Ingrilli exchanged baskets and then Williams scored on a drive for a 55-53 lead, but Cerroni threw in a shot from five feet past the top of the key for a trey and a 56-55 lead with 1:51 to play.
When Williams was fouled and missed the front end of the bonus, Hamilton got the rebound and called a time out.
But Powell stole the ball and the game and the Red Raiders (12-1) go into next week's game with Marquette with the Greater Metro Conference title on the line.
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East upsets Menomonee Falls in Greater Metro baseball tournament
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball team drops four of last five games
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team falls to Marquette in Greater Metro semifinals
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers win first game
- Football: Wauwatosa East's Kelnhofer to play in All-Star Game
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team finishes Greater Metro regular season at .500
- Softball: Wauwatosa East's Schmanski continues to put her name in softball record books