Wauwatosa East rallied to beat Sussex Hamilton, 57-56, in overtime before a near-packed house Friday night in the final regular season home game of the year.
Barret Powell stole the inbounds pass and then raced down the court to score on a layup with eight seconds left to play in overtime. Hamilton called a timeout to set up a final play for Kameron Cerroni, who finished with 30 points.
Cerroni got the ball, was picked up by Keondre Gholston and then double teamed and took a shot from the top of the key that bounced off the rim. Brent Meinecke grabbed the rebound, tried a shot from the left side and Powell blocked that shot. But Cerroni picked up the ball and threw up a desperation 3-pointer which once again missed and Larry Bradley grabbed the rebound as time ran out.
Ironically, Cerroni, who was 10-for-10 from the free throw line, missed his second free throw with 11.9 on the clock and Hamilton leading 51-49. Eric Williams got the rebound and flipped it to Gholston, who drove the length of the floor and sank a pull-up jumper to tie the game with 4.5 seconds left.
Eric Reimer then missed a 3-pointer from the left side to send the game into overtime.
Meinecke and Vinnie Ingrilli exchanged baskets and then Williams scored on a drive for a 55-53 lead, but Cerroni threw in a shot from five feet past the top of the key for a trey and a 56-55 lead with 1:51 to play.
When Williams was fouled and missed the front end of the bonus, Hamilton got the rebound and called a time out.
But Powell stole the ball and the game and the Red Raiders (12-1) go into next week's game with Marquette with the Greater Metro Conference title on the line.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27