Wauwatosa East defense plays well in loss to Aurora Central
Red Raiders can't overcome five turnovers
Wauwatosa East football coach Mike Richards worked hard to find a game when Nicolet canceled their season right before the opener.
Richards reached out to Illinois to find the Aurora Central Trojans, and the Red Raiders got a game to play their second week of the season.
So instead of a bye and a forfeit win, the Red Raiders dropped a 21-7 decision to Central.
The Trojans only led 7-0 at halftime, as the defense kept the Red Raiders in the game, and added two third-period scores to put the game out of reach.
"Our defense played great," Richards said. "But five turnovers, we're not good enough to overcome five turnovers. We had three fumbles and two interceptions, one a pick six. But we (defense) executed better than the week before."
Central's running back Brian Babler scored all three touchdowns — two on runs of 39 and 8 yards and one on a 28-yard interception return to lead the way. He also rushed for 92 yards on 14 carries, a 6.6 average.
Richards praised outside linebacker Ross Janis, wide receiver Ryan Kelnhofer and running back Ty Edersinghe.
Kelnhofer caught four passes for 35 yards and scored the only touchdown on a 6-yard pass from quarterback Jackson Telderer with nine minutes left in the game.
Edersinghe rushed 15 times for 70 yards, a 4.7 average.
Telderer completed 14-for-30 for 130 yards, but he tossed two interceptions.
"These kids are hard workers; they come to play," Richards said of his squad. "Now they have to transfer the way they practice into plays in the games."
The Red Raiders open the Greater Metro Conference part of their schedule with a 7 p.m. game Friday, Sept. 5 at Brookfield Central (1-1).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27