Tosa West's Purifoy, big plays spark 35-15 win
Senior RB runs for 232 yards, 3 touchdowns
It took the Wauwatosa West football team a half to get going, but when it did, there was no looking back for the Trojans in a 35-15 win over an improved Grafton team.
West (2-0) fell behind 12-0 and trailed 15-14 at halftime, but then the Trojans scored on three big plays to blow out the Blackhawks, 21-0, in the second half.
"I think we're going to be a big-play offense," coach Matt Good said. "We practice those plays. It was fun to watch when the kids did what they are supposed to do."
Trailing, 15-14, Grafton had just stopped the Trojans, when Zach Veit when back to punt on the opponent's 43-yard line. Veit took the snap, watched the Blackhawks turn and go down field to block and then took off on his own on an 18-yard romp to get a crucial first down.
"That's a coach's kid, making a coach's kid's play," Good said of Veit, whose father, Ben, was a former West coach. "Zach's a very intelligent football player. He saw something and took advantage of it.
"You want your seniors to take advantage of something they see and make big plays, and he did that, and that's a credit to him."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West