Wauwatosa West, East place sixth, seventh in Early Bird invite
Lancers swim away with invite championship
Brookfield Central easily won the Early Bird Invitational at Wauwatosa West on Aug. 23, while Tosa West and Tosa East placed sixth and seventh, respectively.
Both local coaches were pleased with their teams' performances.
"We had a great meet," West coach Heidi Hegwood said. "Most of our girls out-performed their times from last year. Freshman Megan Krummel stepped up into two varsity relays (200 medley and the 400 freestyle). It's nice to see freshman step up and hold that spot on a veteran team."
"Anna Larson performed very well again, placing second in the 50 free and third in the 100 free. Both times were better than last year at this time. Allie Welsh also earned third in the 100 backstroke. Also out-performing last year's time from this same meet.
"Overall I am very happy with where the girls training is. The girls are working hard and will be ready for our first duel in September."
East coach Russ Weigel also was happy with the qualities of the swims.
"I am encouraged by how well we swam so early in the season. There were numerous lifetime bests and we were able to see others race for the first time. Maddie Ladd, Madeline Jamieson, and Elizabeth Tuffnell had an outstanding meet.
"We have a talented group of athletes that are willing to work hard. The results are already showing with over half of the swims today being lifetime bests."
Tosa East had the top local performance as junior Celia Ripple won the 200 individual medley in 2 minutes, 13.71 seconds and the 100 breaststroke in 1:07.07.
The Red Raiders were third in the 200 medley relay (1:59.37) behind freshman Ni'Sea Thurman-Wamubu, Ripple, senior Maura Haydin and junior Elizabeth Tuffnell.
They were fourth in the 200 free relay (1:49.71) behind Ripple, freshman Elizabeth Peura, sophomore Michaela Lonski and Tuffnell.
Sophomore Madeleine Jamieson was eighth in the 500 free (6:14.48) and Tuffnell took ninth in 50 free (26.96) and the 100 free (59.85).
Peura finished ninth in the 100 breast (1:18.75) and the 400 free relay (4:13.69) behind Haydin, Lonski, Jamieson and Peura finished 10th, rounding out the Top-10 finishes for the Red Raiders.
The top performer for the Trojans was senior Anna Larson, who was second in the 50 free (25.46) and third in the 100 free (55.95).
Allie Welsh took third in the 100 backstroke (1:03.94) and seventh in the 200 IM (2:24.84).
Senior Ellie Krummel was fourth in 500 free (5:53.49) and sixth in the 200 freestyle (2:09.11).
The 400 free relay (3:56.07) behind Ellie Krummel, freshman Megan Krummel, Welsh and Larson and the 200 medley relay was fifth (2:02.30) behind Welsh, Megan Krummel, Ellie Krummel and sophomore Jess Wilson.
The 200 medley relay was fifth (2:02.30) behind Welsh, Megan Krummel, Ellie Krummel and Wilson.
Finishing seventh were senior Dani Ganser in the 1-meter diving (256.65) and Megan Krummel in the 100 breast (1:18.47) and the 200 free relay (1:51.88) behind Kristi Klammer, senior Regina Kautzer, Wilson and Larson.
1. Brookfield Central (397), 2. Badger (270), 3. NB West (245), 4. Divine Savior Holy Angels (206), 5. Hartford (205.50), 6. Tosa West (205), 7. Tosa East (181), 8. Menomonee Falls/Sussex Hamilton (153), 9. Waukesha West (152.50), 10. South Milwaukee (110), 11. Pius XI (47), 12. Cudahy (14).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West