The last thing Wauwatosa East's football team needs is injuries.
When your numbers are small and you are playing several players two ways, that is a curse for a football coach.
One of the first things Tosa East coach Mike Richards faced this season was losing juniors Bryce Beekman, an outstanding wide receiver/defensive back and Tyler Klossowski, an excellent wide receiver/linebacker.
But the news is not all bad for Richards as the Red Raiders return an outstanding quarterback in Jackson Telderer, a 6-feet, 1 inch senior.
"It's huge to have someone with his experience back," Richards said. "Quarterback is the toughest position to play in all of sports. He is a kid that is starting his third year back there.
"There are times I will call a play and he will say 'Coach, we can't run it out of that formation.' and I'll say, 'You're right.' That's how knowledgeable he is."
Richards has depth in his backfield behind Telderer, as he plans to alternate four players at running back among senior Marcus Smith (6-0, 180), junior Marvin Britt (5-10, 180), senior Tre Mounger (5-9, 190) and
Richards runs a hybrid offense, a spread off an I-formation.
He has a returning honorable mention all-conference wide out in junior Ryan Kelnhofer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple, West's Larson excel at Early Bird swimming invite
- Wauwatosa East girls cross-country team looking for good things
- Wauwatosa West returnees should help girls cross-country team
- Wauwatosa East tennis team has nine returning players
- Wauwatosa East girls volleyball team looking for big improvement
- Wauwatosa West tennis team wins 3 of 4 at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team has holes to fill
- Young Wauwatosa West soccer team will be counting on chemistry
- Wauwatosa girls golf team fourth at first GMC mini-meet
- Potter to lead Wauwatosa East boys cross-country team