The Wauwatosa East girls track and field team will have several new faces this season, so words like "raw" and "potential" pop up when coach Glen Gardiner talks about his squad.
"Many new girls on this year's team are overall pretty raw but with loads of potential," Gardiner said. "We will definitely start coming into our own when we get to outdoor."
Gardiner also has some key returning athletes. The Red Raiders will be led by seniors Natalie Schudrowitz (distance) and Hailey Krahn (discus), both state qualifiers.
Schudrowitz finished 11th at state in the 1600 last season (5 minutes, 18 seconds) and 11th in the 3200 (11:12.56).
Krahn was 20th in the discus with a toss of 104 feet, 4 inches.
Seniors Carly Manning (high jump, 400/800) and Marissa Wurster (sprints) also return, along with juniors Elizabeth Johnson (200/400, triple jump), Lauren Dillon (200/400), Reina Anderson (sprints), Lindsey Govan (distance, state cross country qualifier) and sophomore Tori Logan (sprints).
Gardiner is also excited about some promising newcomers.
Freshman Julia Bartlett was an alternate on the cross country team at state, while seniors Lauren Sayles (hurdles, jumps), Kathleen O'Connell (hurdles, jumps) and freshman Grace Armstrong (distance) should help out.
"Highlights should come from the 1600 relay team, Natalie and Hailey," Gardiner said. "I'm looking forward to what some of the newcomers can contribute to the team."
Gardiner is happy to welcome new sprint coach Chanel Franklin, a 2013 Marquette University graduate who ran for the Golden Eagles and was a state qualifier at Milwaukee Rufus King.
The Red Raiders opened the season at West Allis Central on Tuesday (March 18) and will take part in an invite at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater on Saturday morning.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East boys CC team makes amends, heads back to state
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West spikers fall to Nicolet in regional
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 30, 2014 issue
- Girls golf: Wauwatosa girls golf team anticipates more success with three returnees next year
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West girls volleyball coach resigns
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 23
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Wauwatosa West football team eliminated from playoff chase
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014
- Wauwatosa West Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014