Wauwatosa West girls basketball team’s starters left the game with a few minutes left in the first quarter as the Trojans rolled to a 75-4 victory over Milwaukee James Madison on Tuesday at West in the WIAA Regional quarterfinals.
In one of the most lopsided games of the year, the Trojans led 30-0 after the first quarter and 58-0 at halftime.
Junior forward Abbey Jones scored eight points in the first quarter and Yolanda Delarosa scored 11 in the second quarter and finished as the game’s high scorer with 16.
No one on the Madison team could handle the ball and several of their passes were lobbed and easily picked off or passed right to the Tosa West player. The Knights had no chance against the aggressive press in the first half.
“We told the girls to focus on what we worked on in practice,” Imperiale said. “We do want to pressure teams when we get to these games, so even though they had trouble handling the ball, we worked on our rotations.
“We got different girls in there because you don’t know what will happen this time of year with fouls, injuries or what not. It was good to get some girls, who don’t normally get live reps, in the game. They were able to look at me, see me change calls and apply it.”
With more than a 40-point lead in the second half, the running clock went into effect and the Trojans — mainly reserves except for Delarosa, a 5-foot, 5 inch point guard — worked on their passing game.
“We told the girls on Friday (against Shorewood), we aren’t going to pass once and shoot,” Imperiale explained. “I wanted 10 passes, two inside the paint. I told them to stay patient, go through all their reads.”
West outscored Madison, 11-0, in the third quarter and then with 2 minutes, 16 seconds left in the fourth quarter, Deana Albasini, the Knight’s best player, put in a jump shot from 10 feet out and got a standing ovation from the crowd. Then at 1:23 she banked in a shot from the same place to account for all of her team’s points.
West now travels to Shorewood to face the No. 3 seeded Greyhounds at 7 p.m. on Friday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team bounces back for victory
- Wauwatosa East volleyball team wins thriller against Trojans
- Wauwatosa East soccer team ties second-ranked Cedarburg
- Wauwatosa West football team blanks Vikings, earns playoff spot
- Wauwatosa East boys cross country team finished second at the Purgold Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys volleyball team beats Cedarburg
- Wauwatosa West swimmers defeat Greendale
- Wauwatosa East, West girls cross-country teams finish third, fourth at Purgold Invitational
- Wauwatosa West girls tennis finishes second in Woodland Tennis Tournament
- Wauwatosa West kickers split four games