Wauwatosa East boys drop four GMC basketball games in a row
Hilltoppers' 49-38 win Tuesday drops Raiders into basement
After going 1-2 last week, including 0-2 in losses to Greater Metro Conference opponents Sussex Hamilton (7-3) and Brookfield Central (9-0), Wauwatosa East opened the week on the road at rival Marquette on Tuesday, dropping a 49-38 decision.
The loss dropped the Red Raiders (2-9) into the GMC cellar, one half game behind Brookfield East (2-8), which crushed Menomonee Falls (5-5) on Tuesday, 49-33.
The Red Raiders host second-place West Allis Central on Feb. 14 in a conference game and then face crosstown rival Wauwatosa West on Feb. 15, both games at 7:30 p.m. Then on Feb. 18 they travel to Brookfield East to take on the Spartans, also at 7:30 p.m.
The Red Raiders' shooting skills once again failed to materialize as coach Tim Arndorfer counted 11 missed layups in the first half. They also missed several easy jump shots and were only 7-for-17 from the free throw line.
Marquette led 11-8 after one quarter, but the Red Raiders bounced back with a 11-6 second quarter to take a 19-17 lead. But Marquette outscored them by five and eight points in the last two quarters.
Sean Wheeler had 12 points and Bryce Beekman had eight.
The Red Raiders dropped a hard-fought 46-43 decision to Sussex Hamilton on Feb. 4 at home to begin last week.
The Red Raiders and Chargers battled to the final buzzer. Sussex led 18-17 at intermission and 30-29 through three periods. The Chargers then held off the Red Raiders in the fourth period (16-14) to win the game.
Sean Wheeler continues to carry the offense with 16 points while Caleb Taylor added nine and Nick Pridgeon and Jack Mihelich added seven each.
Tosa East dropped a 65-46 decision to the state's top-ranked Brookfield Central Lancers on Friday at Central in another GMC game.
The Red Raiders trailed 32-19 at halftime. Wheeler had 14 points, which included two 3-pointers and 4-for-6 from the free throw line.
Senior Caleb Taylor and sophomore Sam Christiansen each checked in with nine points apiece.
East defeated Green Bay Southwest, 53-51, in a non-conference game Saturday at home.
The Red Raiders led 15-14 after one quarter and 23-21 at halftime. Tosa East took a 36-32 lead into the final quarter, which was the only period the Fighting Trojans won (19-17).
Taylor scored 14 points, the only East player in double figures.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- For Wauwatosa Hurricanes' Danny Larson, it's all about the team
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team bounces back to beat New Berlin West
- Folley, Miller bring home gold at Woodland Meet as Tosa finishes third
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team drops five in a row
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team defeats Menomonee Falls to snap 3-game losing streak
- Big Cheese Classic National Wheelchair Basketball tourney set for Feb. 20-21
- Wauwatosa's Larson wins two swimming championship
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team drops third straight game
- Five Wauwatosa East student-athletes to play at collegiate level
- Wauwatosa's Beekman to play football at Southern A&M