Wauwautosa East used 19 points from senior Katie Salmon and 16 from sophomore Bailey Berlin to pound West Allis Central, 60-24, and win their first Greater Metro Conference game of the season.
The Red Raiders also went over the .500 mark with a 5-4 record and improved to 1-4 in the GMC while WAC fell to 0-5 and 1-10 overall.
With East winning, 6-5, Salmon picked up her second foul with 4:25 left in the quarter. But instead of folding, the Red Raiders took off, as tiny point guard Berlin scored 12 straight points to give East an 18-7 lead at the quarter.
First she hit a 3-pointer, then she scored on a fastbreak. She then nailed another 3 and closed it out with a 4-point play, as she sank a 3-pointer, was fouled and she sank the free throw.
Salmon added another talented sophomore Maya Walls scored five to spark a 17-2 run in the second quarter for a 35-9 lead at halftime. Salmon scored eight points in the third for a 51-21 lead going into the final period.
Berlin had 16 points, including three 3's, as she is getting over a broken finger on her shooting hand (left). Salmon was 5-for-7 from the free throw line. Walls finished with 11 points. Nikita Conroy had 8 points and Bria Brown added seven for WAC.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Jr. Trojans set baseball tryouts for U9-U14 teams
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale
- Wauwatosa East's Vitrano steps down after 17 years as athletic director
- Wauwatosa East baseball team rallies for naught in GMC tournament
- Wauwatosa West comes into week with 4-game loss streak