Wauwautosa East used 19 points from senior Katie Salmon and 16 from sophomore Bailey Berlin to pound West Allis Central, 60-24, and win their first Greater Metro Conference game of the season.
The Red Raiders also went over the .500 mark with a 5-4 record and improved to 1-4 in the GMC while WAC fell to 0-5 and 1-10 overall.
With East winning, 6-5, Salmon picked up her second foul with 4:25 left in the quarter. But instead of folding, the Red Raiders took off, as tiny point guard Berlin scored 12 straight points to give East an 18-7 lead at the quarter.
First she hit a 3-pointer, then she scored on a fastbreak. She then nailed another 3 and closed it out with a 4-point play, as she sank a 3-pointer, was fouled and she sank the free throw.
Salmon added another talented sophomore Maya Walls scored five to spark a 17-2 run in the second quarter for a 35-9 lead at halftime. Salmon scored eight points in the third for a 51-21 lead going into the final period.
Berlin had 16 points, including three 3's, as she is getting over a broken finger on her shooting hand (left). Salmon was 5-for-7 from the free throw line. Walls finished with 11 points. Nikita Conroy had 8 points and Bria Brown added seven for WAC.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa wrestlers lose a toug one to Whitnall/Greendale
- Sports Wraps: Jan. 22
- Girls basketball: Tosa West emerges from league gauntlet with win
- Boys basketball: Tosa East adds rivalry win to growing resume
- Boys basketball: Wauwatosa East grabs quality GMC win over Bulldogs
- Wauwatosa swimmers have successful week
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball loses to first-place Pirates in 2 OTs
- Wauwatosa West's Carroll breaks school scoring record
- Wauwatosa West girls struggle against Woodland West leaders
- Wauwatosa East girls look to turn around losing stretch