Despite a lack of practice time because of the weather closing school, coach Kent Morin's Wauwatosa team whipped New Berlin combined, 47-27, on Jan. 8 at New Berlin to start the week.
"I thought the guys wrestled pretty well given we were unable to have a practice on Monday or Tuesday because of schools being closed," Morin said. "Several guys wrestled up a weigh class because of the inability to have a practice but they handled this obstacle well."
The locals had nine wins, including pins by Sean McDuffie at 113 in 2 minutes, 37 seconds, Kai Casteneda at 132 (1:56) and AJ Minucci at 138 (0:56).
Tosa also earned two major decision wins by Ben Reagan at 145 (12-2) and Marcus Morrow at 160 (14-0) and Sean Allen won by a decision (10-3) at 182.
Morin had the following insight on some of his wrestlers.
McDuffie: "Was back after being out for two weeks with a terrible virus. Got us started off on the right foot with a pin. Sean hasn't been able to practice for two weeks so this was a big win for him. He just wrestled on adrenaline and guts."
Reagan: "Was dominating in a match against one of their best wrestlers."
Jordan Boettcher: "Lost a heartbreaker. Jordan was giving up 10 pounds on this match and would have won it if there were two more seconds in the match. He almost had a winning takedown at the buzzer."
Morrow and Allen: "Both were in complete control of their matches to seal the victory."
Tosa's three other wrestlers won by forfeits: Adrian Coppage at 106, Dylan Christman at 126 and Lorry Venturi at 285.
Tosa has two wrestlers who are unbeaten going into this week. Minucci is 20-0 and Morrow is 18-0.
Next in line is Reagan (25-2) and Casteneda (23-4), followed by Boettcher (17-8), Elliot Rogahn (13-5), McDuffie (12-6), Christman (10-2), Allen (9-2), Joel Zembles (5-1), Venturi (12-12) and Coppage (10-13).
The locals travel to Whitnall for a match at 7 p.m. Jan. 16 and then are off until Jan. 23 when they travel to Pewaukee for a 7 p.m. match.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple, West's Larson excel at Early Bird swimming invite
- Wauwatosa East girls cross-country team looking for good things
- Wauwatosa West returnees should help girls cross-country team
- Wauwatosa East tennis team has nine returning players
- Wauwatosa East girls volleyball team looking for big improvement
- Wauwatosa West tennis team wins 3 of 4 at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team has holes to fill
- Young Wauwatosa West soccer team will be counting on chemistry
- Wauwatosa girls golf team fourth at first GMC mini-meet
- Potter to lead Wauwatosa East boys cross-country team