Former Wauwatosa East star and current Saint Louis University guard Jake Barnett is a nominee for the 2014 Allstate National Association of Basketball Coaches Good Works Team.
For the second year, Allstate and the NABC are recognizing a select group of men's college basketball student-athletes who stand out for their charitable achievements and community involvement.
The players nominated for this honor are committed to enriching the lives of others while contributing to the greater good of their communities.
In its second year, the Allstate NABC and WBCA Good Works Teams honor players at all levels of college basketball who represent the sport's finest in the areas of leadership and charitable achievements among their peers. The student-athletes nominated for this award embody the true spirit of teamwork and giving back.
Barnett boasts an impressive resume of community service accomplishments, which include volunteering at local school basketball camps and participating in Athletes in Action where he traveled to Bulgaria, China and Jamaica.
He also mentored a boy named Joshua Brown, who was a pediatric brain tumor patient who was adopted through Friends of Jacquelyn.
Since Joshua died, Barnett is supportive of Joshua's organization, Joshua's Great Things.
— Tom "Sky" Skibosh
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Notes: April 24
- McLin leads talented young Trojans
- Treatment Trail fundraiser is June 14 to 22
- Trojans netters look to compete
- 3 former West volleyball players win national club championship
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season