The Wauwatosa East girls soccer team will be returning 15 varsity players this spring and that puts a smile on new coach Robby Dubinski's face.
The Red Raiders are coming off a great season, finishing 14-8 overall and an impressive 5-2 record in the rugged Greater Metro Conference.
"With all of our returning letter winners - in addition with our new coaching staff - we are excited to get the season started," Dubinski said.
The Red Raiders will open the season in two weeks with a 7 p.m. non-conference game against New Berlin West at Whitman Field.
Four returning players earned all-conference honors.
Alayah Walls was named to the first team and McKenna Kowalski earned second team honors. Margaret Geertsen and Sam Westpahl earned honorable mentions.
Other returnees are Sammie Osinski, Mary Gorzek, Lexi Jokisch, Beca Pallo, Kelli Swenson, Christina Chen, Chrissy Hoefgen, Katie Hoefgen, Shea Conway, Alyssa Conell and Katie Salmon.
Dubinski also is excited about some newcomers.
"We have another large and talented freshman class that has the opportunity to contribute at all three levels," he said. "A strong group of girls that helped JV last year to a very successful campaign will also be factors on this year's varsity squad.
"With so many returning varsity players in addition to our experienced newcomers, we will have a lot of depth this season."
Dubinski feels his young squad should once again cause problems in the GMC.
"Even though we are such a young team, the valuable experience all of our freshman and sophomores got last year on varsity will help this team deal with the tough conference that is the GMC."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season
- Cavs, Dashers beat Tosa East
- Wauwatosa West boys track wins Case Classic Invitational
- Tosa East boys tennis team returns eight letterwinners
- East kickers blanked Pius, 2-0, for first win
- Ashley Lindstrom named Wauwatosa West girls basketball MVP