Wauwatosa East veteran girls basketball coach Rob Hamill is looking at the 2012-13 season as a new start for his team, as they lost six seniors from last year.
The Red Raiders will be led by three captains, seniors Alayah Walls and Ellen Pickering and junior Katie Salmon, a Greater Metro Conference honorable mention selection as a sophomore.
"We will need last year's varsity players to step up into new roles and serve as leaders for new members of the squad," Hamill said. "First step to success this year will depend on our ability to play aggressively on defensive end."
Hamill is excited about the Red Raiders system this year.
"Offensively we have a scheme that should fit the talents of our squad," he said. "It will be anchored by the leadership and ball handling ability of Alayah Walls, the scoring ability of Katie Salmon (fifth in the conference in scoring last year) and the shooting touch of Ellen Pickering."
Hamill talked about some key returnees.
"We need and believe in junior Sammie Osinski's ability to step forward defensively inside. Senior Sarah Jolitz will also be looked upon to use her aggressiveness to contribute, especially on the defensive end of the floor."
Hamill said the team's top priority is their defense, what with all the newcomers on the team.
"Overall we will have some new faces on the varsity squad that we are excited about and believe in their ability to rise to the occasion and contribute in a meaningful way not only in games, but also on the practice floor."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa East football team trying to overcome injuries
- Wauwatosa West's Bailey sees kickers as Woodland contenders
- Wauwatosa East Red Raiders return outstanding talent
- Wauwatosa East netters to have rebuilding season
- Meylor ready to lead Wauwatosa West netters
- Wauwatosa Spartans of the Mid-States league beat Chicago Thunder
- Wauwatosa West's Purifoy one of state's top backs
- Ravenola takes over Wauwatosa girls golf reins
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: Aug. 14
- Three Red Raiders doing well with Wisconsin All-Stars