Wauwatosa East veteran girls basketball coach Rob Hamill is looking at the 2012-13 season as a new start for his team, as they lost six seniors from last year.
The Red Raiders will be led by three captains, seniors Alayah Walls and Ellen Pickering and junior Katie Salmon, a Greater Metro Conference honorable mention selection as a sophomore.
"We will need last year's varsity players to step up into new roles and serve as leaders for new members of the squad," Hamill said. "First step to success this year will depend on our ability to play aggressively on defensive end."
Hamill is excited about the Red Raiders system this year.
"Offensively we have a scheme that should fit the talents of our squad," he said. "It will be anchored by the leadership and ball handling ability of Alayah Walls, the scoring ability of Katie Salmon (fifth in the conference in scoring last year) and the shooting touch of Ellen Pickering."
Hamill talked about some key returnees.
"We need and believe in junior Sammie Osinski's ability to step forward defensively inside. Senior Sarah Jolitz will also be looked upon to use her aggressiveness to contribute, especially on the defensive end of the floor."
Hamill said the team's top priority is their defense, what with all the newcomers on the team.
"Overall we will have some new faces on the varsity squad that we are excited about and believe in their ability to rise to the occasion and contribute in a meaningful way not only in games, but also on the practice floor."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Denny, Markwardt lead Tosa East past Trojans, 6-2
- Wauwatosa West comes away with two wins in five outings
- Sports Notes: July 2, 2015
- Wauwatosa West outslugs Kettle Moraine in wood bat tourney
- Wauwatosa East loses four more games
- Wauwatosa West splits with Pius on the diamond
- Wauwatosa East's pitching struggles in loss to Lancers
- Schmanski sets Wauwatosa East RBI record
- Wauwatosa West softball players receive all-conference recognition
- 6 Wauwatosa West soccer players earn all-conference recognition