Wauwatosa East veteran girls basketball coach Rob Hamill is looking at the 2012-13 season as a new start for his team, as they lost six seniors from last year.
The Red Raiders will be led by three captains, seniors Alayah Walls and Ellen Pickering and junior Katie Salmon, a Greater Metro Conference honorable mention selection as a sophomore.
"We will need last year's varsity players to step up into new roles and serve as leaders for new members of the squad," Hamill said. "First step to success this year will depend on our ability to play aggressively on defensive end."
Hamill is excited about the Red Raiders system this year.
"Offensively we have a scheme that should fit the talents of our squad," he said. "It will be anchored by the leadership and ball handling ability of Alayah Walls, the scoring ability of Katie Salmon (fifth in the conference in scoring last year) and the shooting touch of Ellen Pickering."
Hamill talked about some key returnees.
"We need and believe in junior Sammie Osinski's ability to step forward defensively inside. Senior Sarah Jolitz will also be looked upon to use her aggressiveness to contribute, especially on the defensive end of the floor."
Hamill said the team's top priority is their defense, what with all the newcomers on the team.
"Overall we will have some new faces on the varsity squad that we are excited about and believe in their ability to rise to the occasion and contribute in a meaningful way not only in games, but also on the practice floor."
- Wauwatosa lacrosse team beats eighth-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa West boys finish fourth at Woodland Relays
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team wins Woodland Conference championship
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East soccer team splits two games, loses Lily Brock to injury
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa East girls finish seventh at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa East boys fourth at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Semipro football: Milwaukee County Chargers defeat Bulldogs in exhibition opener, 20-6
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls track team runs away with Woodland Outdoor title
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney