Wauwatosa East held a 2-1 lead on Kettle Moraine in the WIAA boys volleyball state quarterfinal, but despite huge efforts from Ben Mihelich and Ben Plaisted, the Red Raiders fell at Wisconsin Lutheran College on Friday night, 25-15, 18-25, 18-25, 25-22, 15-11.
Plaisted (25 kills, .378 hitting percentage) and Mihelich (20 kills, 12 digs) were both dominant at times, especially in a stretch in the fourth set when the tandem conspired for kills on seven straight Tosa East points. But the Lasers held on to their precarious lead to take the set, themn jumped out to an 11-5 lead in the fifth set.
The Red Raiders rallied to within 12-10, but the third seed was ousted from the tourney shortly thereafter.
"I wish we would have played better," Tosa East coach John Simon said. "I thought we had them right where we wanted them when we were up 2-1. We just couldn't close out. We couldn't put them away when we had the chance to. We let them hang around, hang around; they got on a roll at the end. We really didn't have an answer for a lot of their stuff. I wish they would have played better at the end."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale
- Wauwatosa East's Vitrano steps down after 17 years as athletic director
- Wauwatosa East baseball team rallies for naught in GMC tournament
- Wauwatosa West comes into week with 4-game loss streak
- Wauwatosa East's Schmanski earns Now All-Suburban softball honors