Wauwatosa East squares off with Kettle Moraine in WIAA boys state volleyball quarterfinals
Wauwatosa East (30-6) will square off against the Kettle Moraine Lasers at 7:45 p.m. Friday in the Red Raiders' first match in the WIAA boys state volleyball championships at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
The Lasers finished second in the Classic 8 Conference with a 5-2 record, but they finished fourth in the conference tournament.
Their overall mark is 19-9 including the playoffs, as they swept both sectional opponents, Beloit Memorial and Middleton. The Lasers are at state for the third time and for the first time since the second of back-to-back appearances in 2008-09.
The Lasers are led in kills by 6-foot-7 inch senior Adam Martell, who has 119 kills, 33 blocks and 24 digs. Senior Sean Leahy, also 6-7, has 42 blocks and 58 kills.
Michael Orgas leads the team with 224 assists and senior Ben Mayer's 35 digs led the team.
If the third-seeded Red Raiders win, they face the winner of the Burlington (23-3)/Catholic Memorial (27-9) matchup at noon Saturday.
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team has two productive meets