Tosa West's Campbell, Floyd-Mews shine at state cross country meet
Both runners had their 'finest races'
Wauwatosa West boys cross country coach Mike Vann felt senior Patrick Campbell and junior Taylor Floyd-Mews ran their best races ever at Saturday's WIAA state cross country meet at Ridges Golf Course in Wisconsin Rapids.
Campbell finished fourth with a time of 15 minutes, 39.17 seconds. Floyd-Mews was 11th running a 15:58.05.
"I couldn't be prouder of what Patrick and Taylor accomplished this weekend," Vann said. "To finish fourth and 11th was thrilling, but they both ran the finest races of their careers. They left everything they had on the course."
Campbell was first after mile one (4:58) and two miles (5:06) before finishing fourth.
"Patrick ran aggressively and led for a significant portion of the race," Vann said. "To potentially win the race that is what he needed to do; he had to push the pace.
"In the meets he's won this season he's pulled away by the halfway point and extended the lead from there. While he didn't get first, the strategy and the unbelievable effort kept him ahead of a lot of very good runners and put him on the podium."
Floyd-Mews was 12th after one mile (5:00) and 10th after two miles (5:10).
"For Taylor, he went out with the lead pack and held on," Vann said. "It's a tough race to hold back on, and then hope to move forward. The first mile contains faster terrain, and then things get tougher from there.
"Taylor really dug deep, held his position, and finished with a great time on a challenging course.
"Looking forward to next year, only two returning athletes finished ahead of Taylor. We'll be back near the top again next year.
"It was a great finish to a great season."
Madison West finished first out of 20 teams with 80 points, well ahead of Madison La Follette (108).
Individually, Hudson senior Ryan Kromer won the event with a time of 15:27.17, easily beating senior McKena Ramos of Sheboygan South (15:37.42).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Wraps: volleyball; cross country; soccer; golf
- Greendale turns to run to beat Wauwatosa West Trojans
- Wauwatosa East's offense has best outing of year
- Wauwatosa West tennis team wins second straight Woodland title
- Wauwatosa West swimmers finish fourth at Woodland
- Wauwatosa East kickers have perfect week
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Wauwatosa West football team runs to 31-10 win over Eisenhower
- Wauwatosa East girls cross country team second at Angel Invite
- Wauwatosa West netters win third division title in 4 years