Sophomore quarterback Josh Ringelberg passed for 301 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 109 yards and another score as Greendale crushed Wauwatosa West, 41-16, Friday night in a WIAA Level 1 Playoff game at West.
The win for the Panthers was their first in the playoffs since moving to D2 in 2008. Greendale, which lost to Tosa West, 37-30, in overtime on Oct. 5, put this game away early this time.
Ringelberg raced 74 yards for a touchdown with 11:02 in the first quarter and then tossed a beautiful 86-yard touchdown to sophomore wide receiver Cody Kmetz for a 12-0 lead at the 5:59 mark.
West sophomore running back Demaris Purifoy scored on an 8-yard run and Zach Veit booted the point after to cut the lead to 12-7 with 3:54 left in the first period.
But it was all downhill from there for the Trojans.
Ringelberg threw TD-passes of 33 yards and 39 yards to Kmetz to begin the second quarter and then added his fourth TD-pass of the game - 39 yards - to Nate Miller for a 33-7 advantage.
The Panthers added a safety with 44 seconds left, wen a bad snap from center went over punter Mickey Morgan's head. Morgan then slapped the ball out of bounds to prevent a touchdown.
Jake Zywicki, who rushed for 110 yards, scored on a 37-yard run to make the score 41-7 with 7:23 left in the third period. Mickey Morgan scored from 4-yards out in the fourth period and then the Trojans got a safety when a bad snap from center went into the end zone for the Panthers.
Kmetz caught 6 passes for 191 yards and three scores to lead the Panthers. Purifoy rushed for 119 yards on 34 carries.
West played without star running back Jameson Brock and wide receiver Develyn Ferguson.
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team will rely on defense, depth in 2016
- Softball: Wauwatosa East softball teams beats West Allis Central in twinbill
- Sports Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa East girls soccer team crushes West Allis Central, 11-0
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team seeks Woodland title
- Football: Wauwatosa East's Ryan Kelnhofer to play in summer All-Star game
- Baseball: Jason Borski takes over as Wauwatosa West baseball coach
- Boys golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fourth in fifth GMC mini-meet
- Swim club: Wauwatosa Swordfish set 10 records at swimming meet