The Wauwatosa Spartans Football Club hit the road to Shorewood to face the Shorewood Monarchs in Ironman Football League action on Saturday night. After a hard-fought game, the Spartans were able to come away with another win, 24-16, to move to 3-0 on the season.
After a slow start for both sides, the Spartan offense found the end zone halfway through the first quarter, when quarterback Tony Henner connected with wide receiver Raymon Porchia on a 70-yard touchdown pass and a 7-0 lead. But the Monarchs got on the board shortly after, when they blocked a punt, forcing the Spartans to kick the loose ball out of the end zone for a safety and a 7-2 lead.
But the Spartans regained momentum in the second quarter when Henner found wide receiver Dominique Washington for a quick 40-yard touchdown, and a 14-2 lead. The Monarchs struck later in the second quarter, closing the gap with a 10-yard touchdown run and failed two-point conversion, to make it 14-8, where it would stay until halftime.
On their second offensive series of the second half, the Spartans began a long, clock-eating march that culminated in a 40-yard Charlie Henke field goal, upping the lead to 17-8.
After the defense forced a Monarch punt, Henner found Porchia for a 20-yard touchdown, putting the Spartans up, 24-8.
The Monarchs came back late in the fourth quarter with another touchdown and two-point conversion, to close it to 24-16.
The Spartans (3-0) travel to Westosha Central High School to take on the conference rival Southern Lakes Blue Devils at 6 p.m. Saturday. The Blue Devils (0-3) are already desperate for a win after losing the first three games of the season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa West rushes to 31-10 win over Eisenhower
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team wins Shorewood Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys go 3-1 at Racine Park invite
- Mystery Photo Contest: Sept. 18
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa West netters win two conference matches
- Wauwatosa East's Potter takes second at Rocket Invite
- Wauwatosa West swimmers whip Greendale
- Wauwatosa East drops key GMC match to Lancers