The Wauwatosa Spartans Football Club hit the road to Shorewood to face the Shorewood Monarchs in Ironman Football League action on Saturday night. After a hard-fought game, the Spartans were able to come away with another win, 24-16, to move to 3-0 on the season.
After a slow start for both sides, the Spartan offense found the end zone halfway through the first quarter, when quarterback Tony Henner connected with wide receiver Raymon Porchia on a 70-yard touchdown pass and a 7-0 lead. But the Monarchs got on the board shortly after, when they blocked a punt, forcing the Spartans to kick the loose ball out of the end zone for a safety and a 7-2 lead.
But the Spartans regained momentum in the second quarter when Henner found wide receiver Dominique Washington for a quick 40-yard touchdown, and a 14-2 lead. The Monarchs struck later in the second quarter, closing the gap with a 10-yard touchdown run and failed two-point conversion, to make it 14-8, where it would stay until halftime.
On their second offensive series of the second half, the Spartans began a long, clock-eating march that culminated in a 40-yard Charlie Henke field goal, upping the lead to 17-8.
After the defense forced a Monarch punt, Henner found Porchia for a 20-yard touchdown, putting the Spartans up, 24-8.
The Monarchs came back late in the fourth quarter with another touchdown and two-point conversion, to close it to 24-16.
The Spartans (3-0) travel to Westosha Central High School to take on the conference rival Southern Lakes Blue Devils at 6 p.m. Saturday. The Blue Devils (0-3) are already desperate for a win after losing the first three games of the season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Slow start hurts Wauwatosa East girls basketball in loss
- Wauwatosa West girls bring three-game basketball win streak
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball takes win streak into week
- Rockets pin loss on Wauwatosa wrestlers
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes swim team captures three events
- Former Wauwatosa East star nominated for Good Works Award
- Tosa wrestlers bring home three champions
- Sports Note: Dec. 12
- Tosa East girls basketball team seeing positive results early on
- Tosa West boys basketball team continues to roll