Wauwatosa East nipped Wauwatosa West, 2-1, in the 'Battle of Tosa' Friday night before a fired up crowd at Whitman Field.
Captain Amanda Babler got the Red Raiders (8-4) on the board only 4 minutes, 50 seconds into the match. Babler took a pass from Margaret Geertsen and drilled in a shot in front of the goal.
That score held up at halftime, but West struck back on a beautiful goal by sophomore Alex Heyer. Heyer broke out of a scrum just past midfield, lost her balance but got her hands down on the turf to keep from falling and continued her run at the goal where she hooked a beautiful shot into the left corner of the net to tie the game at 56:31.
The game remained scoreless for 10 minutes, before freshman Chrissy Hoefgen took a pass from Maddie Packard to the right of the net and drilled a shot into the left corner for the eventual winning goal at 66:41.
West (7-4-2) aggressive but twice got robbed of goals because of great plays by Tosa East goalkeeper Daisy Wedel.
West currently leads the Woodland (6-0-1) and East (4-0) is tied for the Greater Metro Conference lead with Brookfield Central.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team defeats Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Marquette gets revenge with 75-55 victory over Wauwatosa East boys
- Wauwatosa East's Stewart, Green combine for 49 points in win over Brookfield Central
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team loses road games to Shorewood, South Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes finish second at Bob White Swimming Invitational
- Wauwatosa Tosa girls basketball team drops tough decisions to Lancers, Chargers
- Pewaukee whips Wauwatosa wrestlers to take first in conference
- Wauwatosa West finally defeats Tosa East, 60-56
- Wauwatosa wrestlers beat South Milwaukee, take third in Janssen Invite
- Bailey Berlin's free throws give Wauwatosa East win over Tosa West