Wauwatosa East nipped Wauwatosa West, 2-1, in the 'Battle of Tosa' Friday night before a fired up crowd at Whitman Field.
Captain Amanda Babler got the Red Raiders (8-4) on the board only 4 minutes, 50 seconds into the match. Babler took a pass from Margaret Geertsen and drilled in a shot in front of the goal.
That score held up at halftime, but West struck back on a beautiful goal by sophomore Alex Heyer. Heyer broke out of a scrum just past midfield, lost her balance but got her hands down on the turf to keep from falling and continued her run at the goal where she hooked a beautiful shot into the left corner of the net to tie the game at 56:31.
The game remained scoreless for 10 minutes, before freshman Chrissy Hoefgen took a pass from Maddie Packard to the right of the net and drilled a shot into the left corner for the eventual winning goal at 66:41.
West (7-4-2) aggressive but twice got robbed of goals because of great plays by Tosa East goalkeeper Daisy Wedel.
West currently leads the Woodland (6-0-1) and East (4-0) is tied for the Greater Metro Conference lead with Brookfield Central.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrestling: Video: Folley gives Wauwatosa program's first wrestling champion
- Girls basketball: Abbey Jones delivers down stretch for Tosa West
- Wauwatosa's Folley and Reagan advance to state wrestling semis
- Bailey Berlin's 18 points sparks Wauwatosa East girls win
- Trojans crush Whitnall behind Brown, Bartlett, Jr., Carroll
- Wauwatosa's Folley, Reagan, Morrow heading to state
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team crushes Brookfield East to hold second
- Wauwatosa West's Imperiale sees similarities in Wisconsin Lutheran
- Larson leads way for Tosa Hurricanes
- SPORTS WRAPS: Feb. 19