After two tough non-conference losses, Wauwatosa East won another beat Greater Metro Conference match, beating Menomonee Falls, 2-1, in double overtime Tuesday to go 3-0 in the Greater Metro Conference and 6-3-0.
After a scoreless first half, the Red Raiders scored with eight minutes left in the match when McKenna Kowalski kicked in the shot on a pass by Shea Conway.
But Falls scored four minutes later to send the game into overtime.
After a scoreless first overtime, Kowalski did it again, scoring 1:35 into the second overtime ( Rebecca Pallo assist) for the huge win.
After whipping Brookfield East, 5-2, and looking like a powerhouse, the Red Raiders ran into two teams with a combined 12-2-3 record.
The Red Raiders were outscored 6-2 in the two games, losing to Hartford Union, 4-2, on April 18 and Germantown, 2-0, on Saturday.
The Red Raiders actually took a 1-0 lead against the Orioles, carrying the momentum over from the win over Brookfield East the night before.
Alayah Walls scored on a pass from Maddy Packard only 3 minutes, 29 seconds into the game.
But then the Orioles (6-1-2) exploded.
Brittany Klump scored at 13:47, assisted by Hartford's leading scorer Maria Stephans. Then Stephans scored goals at 15:20 (Brianna Buchmann assist) and at 21:00 (Klump).
Before the Red Raiders could recover, the Orioles added a fourth first-half goal at 31:00 by Hannah Peters (Stephans) and they coasted into intermission with a 4-1 lead.
Tosa East's defense improved in the second half shutting out the Orioles, but a goal by Pallo (Katie Salmon) was all the Red Raiders could muster.
On Saturday the Warhawks (6-1-1) scored a goal in each half by Maddie Tetzke - in the first (23:23) and second (70:30), the second one assisted by Paige Blankenheim.
- Boys Club Volleyball: Travis Hudson earns third straight volleyball National Player of the Year Award
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016