After two tough non-conference losses, Wauwatosa East won another beat Greater Metro Conference match, beating Menomonee Falls, 2-1, in double overtime Tuesday to go 3-0 in the Greater Metro Conference and 6-3-0.
After a scoreless first half, the Red Raiders scored with eight minutes left in the match when McKenna Kowalski kicked in the shot on a pass by Shea Conway.
But Falls scored four minutes later to send the game into overtime.
After a scoreless first overtime, Kowalski did it again, scoring 1:35 into the second overtime ( Rebecca Pallo assist) for the huge win.
After whipping Brookfield East, 5-2, and looking like a powerhouse, the Red Raiders ran into two teams with a combined 12-2-3 record.
The Red Raiders were outscored 6-2 in the two games, losing to Hartford Union, 4-2, on April 18 and Germantown, 2-0, on Saturday.
The Red Raiders actually took a 1-0 lead against the Orioles, carrying the momentum over from the win over Brookfield East the night before.
Alayah Walls scored on a pass from Maddy Packard only 3 minutes, 29 seconds into the game.
But then the Orioles (6-1-2) exploded.
Brittany Klump scored at 13:47, assisted by Hartford's leading scorer Maria Stephans. Then Stephans scored goals at 15:20 (Brianna Buchmann assist) and at 21:00 (Klump).
Before the Red Raiders could recover, the Orioles added a fourth first-half goal at 31:00 by Hannah Peters (Stephans) and they coasted into intermission with a 4-1 lead.
Tosa East's defense improved in the second half shutting out the Orioles, but a goal by Pallo (Katie Salmon) was all the Red Raiders could muster.
On Saturday the Warhawks (6-1-1) scored a goal in each half by Maddie Tetzke - in the first (23:23) and second (70:30), the second one assisted by Paige Blankenheim.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrestling: Video: Folley gives Wauwatosa program's first wrestling champion
- Girls basketball: Abbey Jones delivers down stretch for Tosa West
- Wauwatosa's Folley and Reagan advance to state wrestling semis
- Bailey Berlin's 18 points sparks Wauwatosa East girls win
- Trojans crush Whitnall behind Brown, Bartlett, Jr., Carroll
- Wauwatosa's Folley, Reagan, Morrow heading to state
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team crushes Brookfield East to hold second
- Wauwatosa West's Imperiale sees similarities in Wisconsin Lutheran
- Larson leads way for Tosa Hurricanes
- SPORTS WRAPS: Feb. 19