Wauwatosa West (3-3, 1-3) scored seven runs in the fifth inning and clobbered the Hustlin' Hawks at Greenfield (0-3, 1-3) on Tuesday night.
The win was the Trojans' first conference win and it was an important one, coach Ed Raue said.
"It was a big win for the program and these girls," Raue said. "Greenfield is a class program and for us to win 22-10 is a credit to the girls. We are still making too many mistakes but this game was a great confidence builder."
It was a back-and-forth game, as the Hustlin' Hawks took a 2-0 lead in the first, only to see West tie it in the second and then add four runs in the third for a 6-2 lead. But Greenfield tied it with four runs in the bottom of the inning.
Both teams then scored three runs each in the fourth to make it 9-9 before the Trojans exploded for seven runs in the fifth and six in the sixth to put the game away.
Raue was thrilled with the Trojans' comeback ability.
"Greenfield has a very young team with an inexperienced pitcher, which we were able to take advantage of in each inning, other than the first," Raue said. "We were anxious early but once we started timing the pitchers, we were swinging with purpose.
"We went back and forth until the fifth inning and then Tori Waslicki crushed a two-run triple that really opened the game up. Tori put a great swing on the ball.
"We were given the chance to build on a lead and we capitalized, culminating with a bases-clearing triple by Carra Gaines."
The Trojans closed it out in the sixth. Greenfield loaded the bases but Ashley Lindstrom struck out the next the next two and Kady Johnson caught a pop up to seal the victory.
"This group of girls hadn't had a win like this. I hope they realize what they can do going forward."
Waslicki had three hits and three RBIs while Gaines and Alexis Hafemeister each had two hits and three RBIs. Lindstrom scattered 11 hits, walked five and fanned six to get the win.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrestling: Video: Folley gives Wauwatosa program's first wrestling champion
- Girls basketball: Abbey Jones delivers down stretch for Tosa West
- Wauwatosa's Folley and Reagan advance to state wrestling semis
- Bailey Berlin's 18 points sparks Wauwatosa East girls win
- Trojans crush Whitnall behind Brown, Bartlett, Jr., Carroll
- Wauwatosa's Folley, Reagan, Morrow heading to state
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team crushes Brookfield East to hold second
- Wauwatosa West's Imperiale sees similarities in Wisconsin Lutheran
- Larson leads way for Tosa Hurricanes
- SPORTS WRAPS: Feb. 19