Jenny Ciriacks, a freshman from Wauwatosa West, played on the Marquette University club volleyball Gold team that finished third at the National Collegiate Volleyball Federation championships, held April 5 to 7 in Kansas City, Mo.
Marquette came into the tournament ranked No. 1 in the country with a 37-1 game record, and beat tough teams like Minnesota and Texas before losing to the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the semifinals.
Ciriacks, who is the team's starting outside hitter, was named an All-American along with three of her teammates.
"I've never had a freshman come in and play that well and that composed," Marquette's 16-year coach Anne Pufahl said of Ciriacks. "Jenny played like she's been on the team for years."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trojans fall in regional title game to Whitefish Bay
- Larson named Hurricanes MVP
- Girls basketball: Whitefish Bay girls win regional title for injured Jonas, 31-27
- Girls basketball: Tosa East girls basketball team falls short against Wisconsin Lutheran
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West upsets Shorewood
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball whips Milwaukee Madison
- West advances with 75-4 win over James Madison
- Bad fourth quarter ends Wauwatosa West boys basketball team's season
- Jr. Raiders set registration dates
- Castaneda earns medal at state wrestling