Red Raiders win first GMC game in four years, 10-9
Beat West Allis Central in bottom of the seventh
The Wauwatosa East softball team lost a 9-2 lead but rallied in the bottom of the seventh to nip West Allis Central, 10-9, at Hart Park for their first Greater Metro Conference victory in at least four years.
According to the JS Online/WSN web site, Tosa East has lost at least 54 conference games in a row going back to 2007.
Junior pitcher Mariel Leering was leading 9-2 when she injured her finger in the sixth inning and had to leave the game. Kirsten Miller, pitching in her first game ever, struggled with eight walks in two innings and saw the Bulldogs scored six runs in the sixth inning and one in the seventh to tie the game.
Freshman Meredith Starnes ripped a triple to right field with one out, but was still on third when Miller came up.
The sophomore pitcher then redeemed herself by smashing a line drive to center field to score Starnes with the winning run and causing a mob scene on the field as the East bench ran out.
"What an amazing sight," East coach Megan Arnsdorfer said. "Everyone rushed over to Kirsten to congratulate her. I know she was in pain (shoulder) from pitching, but she sucked it up and got the job done.
"She came up big in the end."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team uses big second half to beat Wisconsin Lutheran
- Plenty of positives in Wauwatosa West girls' basketball loss to Kettle Moraine
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team could battle for GMC title
- Wauwatosa West swimming team has bright future with talented underclassmen on the rise
- MacGillis, Barkow share Wauwatosa West boys volleyball MVP honors
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team looks for improvement
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes return three state qualifiers — Danny Larson, Cal Hartt, Avery Weishoff
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards