Wauwatosa East senior Max Kilpin likes to set the bar high - both figuratively and literally speaking.
The talented high jumper set a school record on Saturday at the Madison West Relays, leaping 6-feet, 9 inches. He broke the old record of 6-8 that he shared with Tony Smith.
"After Max took his first attempt of the day, we knew there was a chance that this could be a special day," Tosa East coach Jake Wolter said. "He had his springs back."
Kilpin did better than the Red Raiders, who finished 15th with 16 points in the 23-team invitational.
Arrowhead won the event (91), while Stevens Point (45.5), Brookfield East (44), Madison West (36) and Oconomowoc (33) rounded out the top five.
R.J. Salmon took fifth in the 3,200-meter run in 9 minutes, 46.02 seconds.
"R.J. continues to impress," Wolter said. "He is so much stronger and showing much more confidence in himself this year. You can tell he didn't take a day off this off-season."
Rick Behlmer ran a 54.09 race in the 400-meter dash and placed ninth, the only other top 10 finish for the Red Raiders.
John Hammel took 11th in the 200-meter dash (24.73), Jonah Meidl was 15th in the 800-meter run in 2:06.35 and Jaleel King was 27th in the 55 meter dash (7.13).
The Red Raiders began the week at Whitefish Bay for the annual Wangerin Invitational. They finished eighth out of 14 teams with 25 points, behind Waukesha South (64).
Kilpin won the high jump (6-4) and Mike Meade won the pole vault (12-0) giving the Red Raiders another first-place performance.
Behlmer was fourth in the 400 (55.59) and the 4x400 relay of Sullivan Schermerhorn, Behlmer, Thomas Acompanado and Steffen Uhrich took sixth (3:50.29).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 3, 2015
- Despite loss, Wauwatosa East's defense continues to shine
- Wauwatosa West football team beats Grafton to start season 2-0 once again
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team takes second at Early Bird tournament
- Wauwatosa West boys soccer team goes 1-1-1 at Muskego Quad
- Wauwatosa West girls tennis team nips Vikings
- Wauwatosa East boys soccer team get off to 2-0 start
- Wauwatosa East boys cross-country team has good week
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple, West's Larson excel at Early Bird swimming invite
- Wauwatosa East girls cross-country team looking for good things