West's track and field team in rebuilding mode in 2012
Jordan, however, says Trojans have key returnees
Wauwatosa West boys track and field coach Scott Jordan has a realistic outlook for the upcoming spring season.
"This looks to be a rebuilding year for the Tosa West boys," Jordan said. "We have a few pieces back from last season."
Here are some of Jordan's thoughts on those pieces.
The fourth place 4x100 relay but will be looking to the underclassmen to fill some holes.
Reggie Cole is back and Jordan expects some good things from him.
Kenny Spence returns and has his sights on a couple school records.
Collin Joseph, an alternate on the 4x100 last year, has been looking strong so far.
Patrick Campbell and Taylor Floyd-Mews will be leading a stronger distance crew.
The Trojans finished 20th (eight points) out of 22 teams at the Nelson/Daniel Classic held at UW-Whitewater on Saturday, as Arrowhead ran away with the title with 85.5 points, well ahead of second place Niles West (48) of Illinois.
Campbell finished fifth in the 1,600-meters with a personal-best time of 4 minutes, 31.55 seconds.
"He ran a good race," Jordan said. "It was the start of what could be an exciting season for him."
Jimmy Reynolds took fifth in the long jump with a leap of 20-feet, 4½ inches, also pleasing Jordan.
"This was a nice surprise," he said. "Jimmy went over 20 feet at the first meet of the season."
Floyd-Mews finished 11th in the 3,200 (10:20.32) while Brion Felix in the shot put (44-9) and Paul Tucker in the pole vault (20-4½) each finished 12th.
Kevin Dettlaff was 17th in the 800 (2:12.60), Ronald Brown 24th in the shot put (41-11 ½) and Walker Hannstad was 26th in the 400 (1:01.57).
The Trojans will now take part in the Chris Wilson Invitational at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Milwaukee Lutheran.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team uses big second half to beat Wisconsin Lutheran
- Plenty of positives in Wauwatosa West girls' basketball loss to Kettle Moraine
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team could battle for GMC title
- Wauwatosa West swimming team has bright future with talented underclassmen on the rise
- MacGillis, Barkow share Wauwatosa West boys volleyball MVP honors
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team looks for improvement
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes return three state qualifiers — Danny Larson, Cal Hartt, Avery Weishoff
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards