Washington whips Tosa East boys, 50-36
Red Raiders can't overcome 28-9 halftime deficit
Wauwatosa East dug a deep hole Thursday night, trailing 28-9 at halftime, and dropped a 50-36 decision to Milwaukee Washington in a sectional semifinal game at Waukesha North.
The loss snapped a 3-game winning streak in the post-season for the Red Raiders, who finished with a 16-10 overall record. Washington improved to 20-5 as the Purgolders won their 10th straight game.
The game was over early as Washington raced to a 17-7 first period lead and then held Tosa East scoreless the last 6:45 of the half following a jumper by Diamonte Mckinley.
Even though the Red Raiders held Washington to 11 second-quarter points, they still trailed by 19 at intermission.
To Tosa East's credit, they came out and scored nine straight points to open the second half, as senior Zach Sylvester scored the first five and Nate Moore scored on a layup on a pass from Sylvester and then scored from the right side on a beautiful drive to the past, cutting the lead to 10 points at 28-18 with 5:59 left in the third period.
But that was the closest the Red Raiders came, as the Purgolders held them off the rest of the way. Tosa East actually outscored Washington, 27-22, in the second half.
Jamaar McKay led all scorers with 20 points, while Deandre Harris added 15 and Derek Williams 10 for Washington. Kyle Vnuk led the Red Raiders with nine points.
Pius XI game faces the Purgolders on Saturday at 2 p.m. at West Allis Central in the sectional final.
- Wauwatosa lacrosse team beats eighth-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa West boys finish fourth at Woodland Relays
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team wins Woodland Conference championship
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East soccer team splits two games, loses Lily Brock to injury
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa East girls finish seventh at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa East boys fourth at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Semipro football: Milwaukee County Chargers defeat Bulldogs in exhibition opener, 20-6
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls track team runs away with Woodland Outdoor title
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney