Marquette jumped off to a fast start Thursday night and Wauwatosa East could never recover, as the Red Raiders ended the regular season with a 52-38 loss, their third in a row and their sixth in seven games.
The Red Raiders finished the season in fourth place (8-6) and fell to 13-9 overall. Since being tied with Brookfield Central for first place on Jan. 13, Tosa East finished the year with a 3-7 record, with wins over the bottom three teams in the Greater Metro Conference.
Marquette led, 27-23, with 4:12 left in the third period and that was the closest the Red Raiders came the rest of the game, as MUHS closed out with a 7-4 run and a 34-27 lead after three periods.
The Hilltoppers then opened the fourth period with a 10-5 advantage to put the game away at 44-32. Tosa East did manage a small run to cut the lead to 44-36 with 3:18 on the clock, but MUHS closed with an 8-2 stretch.
Donnell Cegars came off the bench to lead MUHS with 10 points, while Matt Misiewicz and Alex McBride had nine points each.
With the loss of Anthony (AC) Carroll and Marquise Carter for the year, the Red Raiders have really been struggling offensively. Diamonte Mckinley, their only consistent threat, was the game's high scorer with 12 points.
The Hilltoppers finished the year tied for fifth (6-8, 8-13), having won two straight and three of five.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team wins Shorewood Invite
- Wauwatosa East boys go 3-1 at Racine Park invite
- Mystery Photo Contest: Sept. 18
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa West netters win two conference matches
- Wauwatosa East's Potter takes second at Rocket Invite
- Wauwatosa West swimmers whip Greendale
- Wauwatosa East drops key GMC match to Lancers
- Wauwatosa East girls finish 7th at Rocket Invitational
- Football: Tosa East has enough to ward off Bulldogs