New Berlin West senior Dan Sidesky's 32 points sparked the the Vikings to a 58-46 victory Friday at Wauwatosa West in a game which was close until the final two minutes.
With NBW leading, 48-44, the Viking went on 10-2 run in the final 2:32 to win going away.
First Darin Sowinski sank two free throws, then Sidesky stole the ball and scored before Ricky Landers put in a lay-up with 1:17 to play to cut the lead to 52-46.
But Sidesky then took over and scored the last six points by going 6-for-6 from the free throw line.
Tosa West, a team that starts three freshman, a sophomore and a junior, jumped out to a 13-7 lead against the Vikings in the first quarter. But NBW came back with a 16-7 second period, as Sidesky scored six points, Sowinski four and Dino Poulos and Kevin Marx three apiece.
With NBW leading, 23-20, at intermission, the Vikings expanded the lead to 38-30 after three periods.
Steffan Brown opened the final quarter by rebounding his own shot and tossing a basket, Blake Harvey sank two free throws, Andre Carroll sank a 3-pointer and scored a lay-up on a pass from Harvey to cut the lead to 41-39 with 5:04 left in the game.
Once again Sidesky stepped it up for the Vikings, drilling a 3-pointer and a jump shot before Harvey had a lay-in for the Trojans, cutting the lead to 46-43.
After Sowinski scored a basket and Landers countered with a free throw that set up the Vikings final run.
Sidesky finished with 32 points, while Sowinski had 11 and Poulos nine, while Carroll had 12, Brown and Harvey added 10 each for TW.
The Trojans are now 2-3 in the Woodland Conference Black Division, 2-6 overall. The Vikings are 2-3 in the Blue Division, 2-6 overall.
- Baseball: Offense holding back Wauwatosa West baseball team
- SPORTS NOTES JUNE 23
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball wins four conference games
- Former Wauwatosa West star Austin Jones drafted by Chicago Cubs in 26th round
- Lacrosse: Wauwatosa lacrosse has successful season
- New records for Tosa Swim Club
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball team drops four in a row
- Softball: Tosa East's Morgan Schmanski named Team MVP
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team finishes week with three straight losses
- Sports Notes: June 9