Wauwatosa East used good defense to whip Brookfield East on Friday, 50-36, on a night where both teams had trouble offensively.
The win improved Tosa East's record to 2-0 in the Greater Metro Conference, 3-0 overall, while the Spartans fell to 1-1 and 3-1 overall.
In a low-scoring first half which is typical of when these two team's battle, the Raiders held an 18-12 lead as both teams couldn't get their shots to drop.
Vince Cupertino, who was the defensive star, holding the Spartans Brian Smith to six second-half points, had seven points at half-time while Billy Dietz led BE with five.
TE went on a 10-0 run to start the second half and take a 28-12 lead at the 6:06 mark and Marquise Carter had five of the points in that run. Smith helped the Spartans fight back with four points in the final minutes to cut the lead to 30-22.
Ryan McBride came out and scored on a drive to cut TE's lead to 30-24, but then the Raiders went on a 12-4 run to put the game away with a 1:47 left in the game. Anthony Carroll had six points in the fourth quarter to spark the rally.
Carter led TE with 10 points, while Bryce Kratzer had nine and Carroll eight. McBride led BE with 11 and Dietz had six.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa wrestlers lose a toug one to Whitnall/Greendale
- Sports Wraps: Jan. 22
- Girls basketball: Tosa West emerges from league gauntlet with win
- Boys basketball: Tosa East adds rivalry win to growing resume
- Boys basketball: Wauwatosa East grabs quality GMC win over Bulldogs
- Wauwatosa swimmers have successful week
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball loses to first-place Pirates in 2 OTs
- Wauwatosa West's Carroll breaks school scoring record
- Wauwatosa West girls struggle against Woodland West leaders
- Wauwatosa East girls look to turn around losing stretch