Wauwatosa East used good defense to whip Brookfield East on Friday, 50-36, on a night where both teams had trouble offensively.
The win improved Tosa East's record to 2-0 in the Greater Metro Conference, 3-0 overall, while the Spartans fell to 1-1 and 3-1 overall.
In a low-scoring first half which is typical of when these two team's battle, the Raiders held an 18-12 lead as both teams couldn't get their shots to drop.
Vince Cupertino, who was the defensive star, holding the Spartans Brian Smith to six second-half points, had seven points at half-time while Billy Dietz led BE with five.
TE went on a 10-0 run to start the second half and take a 28-12 lead at the 6:06 mark and Marquise Carter had five of the points in that run. Smith helped the Spartans fight back with four points in the final minutes to cut the lead to 30-22.
Ryan McBride came out and scored on a drive to cut TE's lead to 30-24, but then the Raiders went on a 12-4 run to put the game away with a 1:47 left in the game. Anthony Carroll had six points in the fourth quarter to spark the rally.
Carter led TE with 10 points, while Bryce Kratzer had nine and Carroll eight. McBride led BE with 11 and Dietz had six.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards
- Wauwatosa West girls to field experienced basketball team
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple ends career with impressive showing at state swimming meet
- Wauwatosa West freshman Julia Larson does well at state swimming championships
- Wauwatosa West's Alicia Picard, Alyssa Piek, Nicole Mystrow earn top tennis honors
- Christian Laettner hoops camps at Wauwatosa East successful
- Wauwatosa East's Sam Potter finished fourth at state cross-country meet
- Wauwatosa East can't stop red-hot Brookfield East volleyball team
- Wauwatosa West's Larson qualifies in 2 events for state swimming meet