Wauwatosa East used good defense to whip Brookfield East on Friday, 50-36, on a night where both teams had trouble offensively.
The win improved Tosa East's record to 2-0 in the Greater Metro Conference, 3-0 overall, while the Spartans fell to 1-1 and 3-1 overall.
In a low-scoring first half which is typical of when these two team's battle, the Raiders held an 18-12 lead as both teams couldn't get their shots to drop.
Vince Cupertino, who was the defensive star, holding the Spartans Brian Smith to six second-half points, had seven points at half-time while Billy Dietz led BE with five.
TE went on a 10-0 run to start the second half and take a 28-12 lead at the 6:06 mark and Marquise Carter had five of the points in that run. Smith helped the Spartans fight back with four points in the final minutes to cut the lead to 30-22.
Ryan McBride came out and scored on a drive to cut TE's lead to 30-24, but then the Raiders went on a 12-4 run to put the game away with a 1:47 left in the game. Anthony Carroll had six points in the fourth quarter to spark the rally.
Carter led TE with 10 points, while Bryce Kratzer had nine and Carroll eight. McBride led BE with 11 and Dietz had six.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa East football team trying to overcome injuries
- Wauwatosa West's Bailey sees kickers as Woodland contenders
- Wauwatosa East Red Raiders return outstanding talent
- Wauwatosa East netters to have rebuilding season
- Meylor ready to lead Wauwatosa West netters
- Wauwatosa Spartans of the Mid-States league beat Chicago Thunder
- Wauwatosa West's Purifoy one of state's top backs
- Ravenola takes over Wauwatosa girls golf reins
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: Aug. 14
- Three Red Raiders doing well with Wisconsin All-Stars