Wauwatosa East beat West Allis Central, 59-56, in the Greater Metro Conference opener for both teams Friday night at East.
The Red Raiders led by 10 points, 44-34, going into the fourth period, as they were in control for most of the game. But the talented Bulldogs battled back and missed a shot in the final seconds that could have tied the game.
But Jarvis Garrett (7 points), Darvell Brown (6) and Ron Turkvan (5) combined for 18 of the Bulldogs' 22 fourth-quarter points.
Tosa East's senior guard Diamonte McKinley had seven of his 14 points in the fourth period and junior Anthony Carroll had five of his 19 points to hold off the Bulldogs.
Garrett led all scorers with 20 points, while Turkvan and Brown had 10 each. Marquise Carter, a junior guard, added 11 points for the Red Raiders.
East led 35-23 at half-time, as it looked like playground basketball for the first two quarters. McKinley and Carroll each had seven points in Tosa East's 23 point first period.
Central ran their half-court offense better in the second half and their pressure defense had the Red Raiders reeling.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East's Ripple, West's Larson excel at Early Bird swimming invite
- Wauwatosa East girls cross-country team looking for good things
- Wauwatosa West returnees should help girls cross-country team
- Wauwatosa East tennis team has nine returning players
- Wauwatosa East girls volleyball team looking for big improvement
- Wauwatosa West tennis team wins 3 of 4 at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team has holes to fill
- Young Wauwatosa West soccer team will be counting on chemistry
- Wauwatosa girls golf team fourth at first GMC mini-meet
- Potter to lead Wauwatosa East boys cross-country team