Wauwatosa East beat West Allis Central, 59-56, in the Greater Metro Conference opener for both teams Friday night at East.
The Red Raiders led by 10 points, 44-34, going into the fourth period, as they were in control for most of the game. But the talented Bulldogs battled back and missed a shot in the final seconds that could have tied the game.
But Jarvis Garrett (7 points), Darvell Brown (6) and Ron Turkvan (5) combined for 18 of the Bulldogs' 22 fourth-quarter points.
Tosa East's senior guard Diamonte McKinley had seven of his 14 points in the fourth period and junior Anthony Carroll had five of his 19 points to hold off the Bulldogs.
Garrett led all scorers with 20 points, while Turkvan and Brown had 10 each. Marquise Carter, a junior guard, added 11 points for the Red Raiders.
East led 35-23 at half-time, as it looked like playground basketball for the first two quarters. McKinley and Carroll each had seven points in Tosa East's 23 point first period.
Central ran their half-court offense better in the second half and their pressure defense had the Red Raiders reeling.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team surprised the critics
- Gardiner returns large, youthful girls track team for Wauwatosa East
- Sport Shorts: April 16, 2015
- Wauwatosa West's Carroll, Brown set several school records
- Wauwatosa West softball team has 0-3 week
- SPORTS NOTES APRIL 16
- Zabala spark Wauwatosa West kickers over Bradford in opener
- Wauwatosa East tennis team has eight returnees
- Tosa East kickers tie North, beat Madison West
- Wauwatosa East boys track team seventh at GMC Indoor