Wauwatosa East beat West Allis Central, 59-56, in the Greater Metro Conference opener for both teams Friday night at East.
The Red Raiders led by 10 points, 44-34, going into the fourth period, as they were in control for most of the game. But the talented Bulldogs battled back and missed a shot in the final seconds that could have tied the game.
But Jarvis Garrett (7 points), Darvell Brown (6) and Ron Turkvan (5) combined for 18 of the Bulldogs' 22 fourth-quarter points.
Tosa East's senior guard Diamonte McKinley had seven of his 14 points in the fourth period and junior Anthony Carroll had five of his 19 points to hold off the Bulldogs.
Garrett led all scorers with 20 points, while Turkvan and Brown had 10 each. Marquise Carter, a junior guard, added 11 points for the Red Raiders.
East led 35-23 at half-time, as it looked like playground basketball for the first two quarters. McKinley and Carroll each had seven points in Tosa East's 23 point first period.
Central ran their half-court offense better in the second half and their pressure defense had the Red Raiders reeling.
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Softball: Wauwatosa East batters come to life against Brown Deer, Brookfield East
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa East, West girls soccer teams tie in Battle of Tosa
- Wauwatosa East boys track team finishes fourth at Dan Benson Invite
- Boys golf: Wauwatosa golfers win Panther Invite
- Softball: Wauwatosa West softball team holds on to nip Port Washington
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team finishes fourth at Dan Benson Invite
- Girls track and field: Adams leads the way for Wauwatosa West girls at Dan Benson Invite
- Boys track and field: Wauwatosa West boys track and field team finishes fifth at Dan Benson Invite
- Boys Club Volleyball: Travis Hudson earns third straight volleyball National Player of the Year Award