Germantown - making its first trip to the WIAA Boys State Volleyball Meet - upset Wauwatosa East - making his sixth trip since 2002 - at Wisconsin Lutheran College on Friday evening.
The fired-up Warhawks won the match, 3-sets-to-1, over the veteran Red Raider team.
The Warhawks won the first set, 25-14, but Tosa East battled back to win the second (25-20). But Germantown then rolled to an easy 25-12 win.
Fighting for their lives, the Red Raiders led 18-13, before Germantown went on an 8-2 run to take a 21-20 lead.
After East battled back to take a 22-21 lead, the Warhawks went on a 3-0 run to lead 24-22. East's Ben Mihelich killed a shot to cut the lead to one, 24-23, but Germantown's Zak Showalter dropped in a soft kill shot in front of the net for the win.
While Germantown's players jumped around, knowing they would play another day at state, but Red Raider players were in a state of shock.
Max Kilpin had 13 kills, Zak Sylvester added 10 kills and 10 digs, Mihelich had nine kills and Sam Ingrilli had 32 assists.
Germantown was led by Matt Schultz (13 kills, 7 digs), Zak Showalter (10 kills), Corey Petta (8 digs), Jake Showalter (7 digs), Luke Fischer (8 kills) and Jon Averkamp (6 kills).
Germantown controlled the net all night with their big men, keeping the ball away from Kilpin until later in the match. The Red Raiders also didn't help themselves with 14 serve errors.
Germantown will now play Marquette at noon on Saturday for the right to advance to the title game at 5:30 p.m. The Hilltoppers beat Catholic Memorial, 3-1 (25-23, 23-25, 25-18, 25-19).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27
- Wauwatosa wrestlers claim Cougar Invitational