After rolling to an easy sweep of Milwaukee South on Oct. 20, the Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team was swept by Pius XI in the WIAA Regional Championship match at Tosa West.
The Trojans defeated the Milwaukee South Cardinals (25-4, 25-10, 25-10) to win the opening round of regionals.
Kill leaders were Ellen Restyanski (six) and Danielle Savignac (three). Maddie Inman had 12 assists and six aces, Parker Banghart came up with three digs, Marena Leisten served seven aces and Sammi Schaaf had a blocked shot.
"We started off Thursday with an easy convincing win against Milwaukee South," Tosa West coach Kelly Dwyer said. "The starters only played the first game and then I got to play everybody else the rest of the game.
"Usually in playoff time you want to keep your starters in the game so they can prepare for the next game, but the competition was just not there to do that, so it was nice to get everybody in."
In the loss to Pius XI on Saturday, the tall Lady Popes were two much for the Trojans, winning in three games (25-17, 25-8, 25-11).
Stat leaders were Alexis Hafemeister (22 assists) and Andrea Hafemeister (14 digs) and Jenna Lahmann (nine kills).
"Pius is a good team," Dwyer said. "They really took advantage of their height and just hit over our block. Even though the scores do not show it, the girls played hard and never gave up the whole game.
"We just could never really get anything going on offense and they served us really tough the whole game."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls basketball: Whitefish Bay girls win regional title for injured Jonas, 31-27
- Girls basketball: Tosa East falls short against Wisco
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West upsets Shorewood
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball whips Milwaukee Madison
- West advances with 75-4 win over James Madison
- Bad fourth quarter ends Wauwatosa West boys basketball team's season
- Jr. Raiders set registration dates
- Castaneda earns medal at state wrestling
- Boys basketball: Whitefish Bay finds its tempo, downs Tosa East
- Boys basketball: Messmer rallies to beat Tosa West