After rolling to an easy sweep of Milwaukee South on Oct. 20, the Wauwatosa West girls volleyball team was swept by Pius XI in the WIAA Regional Championship match at Tosa West.
The Trojans defeated the Milwaukee South Cardinals (25-4, 25-10, 25-10) to win the opening round of regionals.
Kill leaders were Ellen Restyanski (six) and Danielle Savignac (three). Maddie Inman had 12 assists and six aces, Parker Banghart came up with three digs, Marena Leisten served seven aces and Sammi Schaaf had a blocked shot.
"We started off Thursday with an easy convincing win against Milwaukee South," Tosa West coach Kelly Dwyer said. "The starters only played the first game and then I got to play everybody else the rest of the game.
"Usually in playoff time you want to keep your starters in the game so they can prepare for the next game, but the competition was just not there to do that, so it was nice to get everybody in."
In the loss to Pius XI on Saturday, the tall Lady Popes were two much for the Trojans, winning in three games (25-17, 25-8, 25-11).
Stat leaders were Alexis Hafemeister (22 assists) and Andrea Hafemeister (14 digs) and Jenna Lahmann (nine kills).
"Pius is a good team," Dwyer said. "They really took advantage of their height and just hit over our block. Even though the scores do not show it, the girls played hard and never gave up the whole game.
"We just could never really get anything going on offense and they served us really tough the whole game."
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team will rely on defense, depth in 2016
- Softball: Wauwatosa East softball teams beats West Allis Central in twinbill
- Sports Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa East girls soccer team crushes West Allis Central, 11-0
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team seeks Woodland title
- Football: Wauwatosa East's Ryan Kelnhofer to play in summer All-Star game
- Baseball: Jason Borski takes over as Wauwatosa West baseball coach
- Boys golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fourth in fifth GMC mini-meet
- Swim club: Wauwatosa Swordfish set 10 records at swimming meet