A fumble recovered by West on the Mariners’ next possession led to the Trojans’ second touchdown on a 35-yard pass from Morzinski to Mickey Morgan, who shook off several would-be tacklers to make it into the end zone as the first quarter expired, putting West up, 13-0.
The Trojans also took full advantage of their next possession with runs from Develyn Ferguson and Greg Lewis before Tyler Gross leapt up to make a rather spectacular catch down at the St. Francis 12-yard line. That set up a 12-yard touchdown pass from Morzinski to Lewis and a 20-0 Trojans lead.
“I give thanks to my good blockers and my good offensive line and my field players that helped me by getting open and catching the ball,” said Morzinski.
St. Francis head coach Doug Sarver shared that opinion.
“We thought we might have trouble with their speed," Sarver said. "When we could tackle, we could defend, and when we didn’t tackle, we didn’t defend.”
Defensively, the Trojans were also seemingly spot-on in the first half. The Mariners were stopped cold during their second possession of the game due to tackles by Jon Doolen and Brion Felix.
Mariners quarterback Adam Korpela completed a 7-yard pass to Gage Cody on the third down, but Cody was tackled by Trojans defensive back Jameson Brock short of the first down. West scored its first touchdown on the following possession, and the Mariners only earned three first downs in the first half.
Korpela, who was playing in place of starting quarterback Robert Kowalczyk, completed 9 passes for 77 yards and a touchdown pass.
“Our starting quarterback was unable to play an hour before the game so we had to make a quarterback during the pre-game practice,” said Sarver “[Adam Korpela] did well with what was asked of him.”
“This is a launching point for next year, said Good. “We’ve got a lot of kids coming back and we’ve got a lot of talent coming back. Now it’s up to the kids and how hard they want to work.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West outslugs Kettle Moraine in wood bat tourney
- Wauwatosa East loses four more games
- Wauwatosa West splits with Pius on the diamond
- Wauwatosa East's pitching struggles in loss to Lancers
- Schmanski sets Wauwatosa East RBI record
- Wauwatosa West softball players receive all-conference recognition
- 6 Wauwatosa West soccer players earn all-conference recognition
- Baseball: North steals game from league leader West
- Wauwatosa East's Govan, Fisher named co-MVPs
- Wauwatosa West baseball team splits two games in light week