Former Wauwatosa West boys basketball coach Mike Landisch lost his year and a half year battle with cancer Sunday night.
Landisch, 31, is survived by his wife, Colleen, daughter, Makenna, and son, Caden, who was born in August. He was placed in hospice four weeks ago.
The Wauwatosa community and beyond, embraced the likeable Landisch, who discovered he had kidney cancer in January, 2010. There were several fundraisers set up to help him and his family battle medical bills.
Landisch's final season as a coach was one of the best in the school's recent history.
The Trojans finished with an 11-6 Woodland Conference record and a 15-11 overall mark and they won their first regional championship since 1996.
The Trojans struggled in Landisch's first year, finishing 5-16 overall and 4-12 in league play. But in his last three three seasons as head coach, Tosa West compiled a .667 winning percentage (33-17) in conference play and a .583 winning percentage (42-30) overall.
His coaching relationship at West ended in April when the administration did not renew his contract.
"It's very hard," said Scott Landisch, Mike's only sibling, who turned 30 years old today. "I think the life that he lived and how much he meant to so many people - teaching coaching - he had a profound influence on so many people's lives.
"He was loved by friends, coaches and the players."
Wake and funeral arrangements will be announced later.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West's inexperience affects season in close losses
- Six Wauwatosa East baseball players earn GMC honors on some level
- Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Jr. Trojans set baseball tryouts for U9-U14 teams
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale