Wauwatosa East has already seen two sides of Waukesha West in boys volleyball, and the Red Raiders are going to get another look very soon.
The Wolverines fell in two sets to Tosa East at the Racine Park Invite earlier this year, but on Saturday at the Wauwatosa East Invite, it was West that swept a pair of sets and knocked the Red Raiders out of contention for the tourney crown.
East won its other three matches, taking both bouts in pool play over Pius and Middleton and topping Shorewood in the gold pool.
"The bottom line is we're disappointed we didn't win our own tournament," coach John Simon said. "But in the big scheme of things, it was an OK day. We didn't play well against West but managed to beat everybody else."
Simon's son, Nate, is a reserve junior outside hitter for the Wolverines, and the family rivalry will extend for another weekend when Tosa East travels to Waukesha West's invite next weekend. The eight-team field will include heavy hitters Catholic Memorial, Franklin and Germantown.
At the Tosa East event, Sam Ingrilli finished with 84 assists, and Max Kilpin had 27 kills. Ingrilli and Ben Mihelich shared the digs lead with 13 apiece.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team uses big second half to beat Wisconsin Lutheran
- Plenty of positives in Wauwatosa West girls' basketball loss to Kettle Moraine
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team could battle for GMC title
- Wauwatosa West swimming team has bright future with talented underclassmen on the rise
- MacGillis, Barkow share Wauwatosa West boys volleyball MVP honors
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team looks for improvement
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes return three state qualifiers — Danny Larson, Cal Hartt, Avery Weishoff
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards