Wauwatosa hosts Iron Bowl XV Saturday night
Spartans face unbeaten Madison Mustangs at Hart
Iron Bowl XV, pitting the Wauwatosa Spartans (10-2) and the Madison Mustangs (11-0), is coming to Hart Park at 7 p.m. Saturday.
When the Ironman Football League's regular season began the weekend of June 4, its 10-member teams had one goal in mind: the Iron Bowl.
In its 15th year, the league's championship game has gained a reputation as one of the most prestigious league championships in the nation.
The Spartans defeated the Waukesha City Junkyard Dogs, 27-6, in the American Conference championship game two weeks ago and the Mustangs had their way with the Muskego Hitmen, 35-0, in the National Conference championship.
The Spartans and Mustangs have met only four times in the franchises' histories, all Madison wins, including Iron Bowl XIII, which they won in overtime, 17-14.
The Spartans overcame a slow start this season, reeling off seven straight wins to advance to Iron Bowl XV. The Mustangs finished their third straight perfect season, and own the nation's longest semi-pro winning streak at 48 games.
They've also won three-straight IFL titles. In the teams' regular-season matchup in week one, the Mustangs won, 17-0.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Imperiale likes Wauwatosa West girls basketball team's balance
- Wauwatosa West swimmers announce team awards
- Wauwatosa West girls had an 'accomplished' year
- Wauwatosa East swimmers honor Ripple, Peura, Tuffnell
- Hamill excited about Wauwatosa East's experience
- Kelnhofer earns All-GMC honors, Team MVP
- Meylor named Wauwatosa West's MVP for tennis
- Boys volleyball: Early momentum doesn't stay with Tosa East
- All you need to know about the state volleyball tournament