Wauwatosa hosts Iron Bowl XV Saturday night
Spartans face unbeaten Madison Mustangs at Hart
Iron Bowl XV, pitting the Wauwatosa Spartans (10-2) and the Madison Mustangs (11-0), is coming to Hart Park at 7 p.m. Saturday.
When the Ironman Football League's regular season began the weekend of June 4, its 10-member teams had one goal in mind: the Iron Bowl.
In its 15th year, the league's championship game has gained a reputation as one of the most prestigious league championships in the nation.
The Spartans defeated the Waukesha City Junkyard Dogs, 27-6, in the American Conference championship game two weeks ago and the Mustangs had their way with the Muskego Hitmen, 35-0, in the National Conference championship.
The Spartans and Mustangs have met only four times in the franchises' histories, all Madison wins, including Iron Bowl XIII, which they won in overtime, 17-14.
The Spartans overcame a slow start this season, reeling off seven straight wins to advance to Iron Bowl XV. The Mustangs finished their third straight perfect season, and own the nation's longest semi-pro winning streak at 48 games.
They've also won three-straight IFL titles. In the teams' regular-season matchup in week one, the Mustangs won, 17-0.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27