Wauwatosa hosts Iron Bowl XV Saturday night
Spartans face unbeaten Madison Mustangs at Hart
Iron Bowl XV, pitting the Wauwatosa Spartans (10-2) and the Madison Mustangs (11-0), is coming to Hart Park at 7 p.m. Saturday.
When the Ironman Football League's regular season began the weekend of June 4, its 10-member teams had one goal in mind: the Iron Bowl.
In its 15th year, the league's championship game has gained a reputation as one of the most prestigious league championships in the nation.
The Spartans defeated the Waukesha City Junkyard Dogs, 27-6, in the American Conference championship game two weeks ago and the Mustangs had their way with the Muskego Hitmen, 35-0, in the National Conference championship.
The Spartans and Mustangs have met only four times in the franchises' histories, all Madison wins, including Iron Bowl XIII, which they won in overtime, 17-14.
The Spartans overcame a slow start this season, reeling off seven straight wins to advance to Iron Bowl XV. The Mustangs finished their third straight perfect season, and own the nation's longest semi-pro winning streak at 48 games.
They've also won three-straight IFL titles. In the teams' regular-season matchup in week one, the Mustangs won, 17-0.
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over realignment proposal (3)
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East upsets Menomonee Falls in Greater Metro baseball tournament
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball team drops four of last five games
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team falls to Marquette in Greater Metro semifinals
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers win first game
- Football: Wauwatosa East's Kelnhofer to play in All-Star Game
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team finishes Greater Metro regular season at .500