Wauwatosa East baseball coach Matt Dahlstrom has stepped down from his position to spend more time with his family.
"Regarding Matt, his departure from the head coaching position at East is relatively simple," Tosa East athletic director Linda Vitrano said. "We met in August to discuss the 2011 season. In the process, Matt shared the difficulty associated with meeting all the obligations associated with the head coaching position and more importantly addressing all the needs of a young family.
"He found it especially difficult to manage and balance because (his) kids are of the age where they are actively participating in sports as well. In the end, Matt concluded that his commitment to his family (he wanted to watch his kids play and perhaps even coach them) should take precedence over his desire to coach at East.
"Although we are grateful for his time and efforts and appreciate all the finer points of the game he shared with our teams over the years, we respect his decision and accepted his resignation."
Dahlstrom moved up to head coach in 2008 to replace Jerry Toubl and he went 7-26 in his first season, 4-15 in the Greater Metro Conference.
His career record was 38-90, a .297 winning percentage, which included going 21-62, a .253 winning mark, in the rugged GMC.
Dahlstrom's best season was 2010, when the Red Raiders finished 7-13 in league play and 15-19 overall.
This past season they were 5-18, 9-21 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West's inexperience affects season in close losses
- Six Wauwatosa East baseball players earn GMC honors on some level
- Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Jr. Trojans set baseball tryouts for U9-U14 teams
- Wauwatosa West loses pitchers' duel to Pius in regional semifinal
- Where did the summer go?
- Sports Notes: July 23, 2015
- Pewaukee's fast start ends Wauwatosa East baseball team's season
- Wauwatosa West wins 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference Round Robin
- Wauwatosa West baseball team beats Nicolet in season finale