The 2011 baseball season came to an end for Wauwatosa West and Wauwatosa East in the WIAA Regional finals on Tuesday night, but each team bowed out in a different matter.
An improved sixth-seeded Tosa West team (12-14) dropped a 4-2 decision to Woodland Conference Blue Division Champion and third-seeded New Berlin West, 4-2, at New Berlin West.
Meanwhile, seventh-seeded Tosa East (9-22) dropped 12-2 decision to second-seeded Marquette at MATC. The Hilltoppers have won 10 of their last 11 games and are one of the hottest teams in the tournament.
The Vikings scored twice in the first and twice in the third and then the Trojans scored twice in the fifth to cut the lead to 4-2, but that was all the scoring either team managed the rest of the way.
Josh Kundinger and Travis Hudson singled in the fifth to start Tosa West’s rally, putting runners on the corners. Kyle Heideman then scored Kundinger on a ground out and Hudson scored on a hit by Travis Heyer.
The Trojans out-hit the Vikings, 6-5, as Hudson was the only Trojans with two hits. Tyler Gross pitched six innings, allowing two walks and one strikeout. The Vikings’ ace Brad Duggan fanned two in his complete game.
Marquette’s incessant hitting proved to be the downfall of the Red Raiders’ baseball team in their Tuesday evening playoff game at MATC South, which ended in a 12-2 victory for Marquette. In the first inning, however, the Raiders came out fast and hard.
East’s Bobby Russ led off the first inning with a single on the first pitch of the game. Sophomore Steffen Uhrich followed with another single and Ben Carpenter, despite being thrown out at first, was able to move Uhrich and Russ to second and third. Both scored on a hit by Jake Lake for a 2-0 Tosa East lead.
But the Marquette defense then stepped it up and got a double play to end the top of the first and that was it for the Tosa East offense the rest of the night as from then on it was all Marquette.
- Boys Club Volleyball: Travis Hudson earns third straight volleyball National Player of the Year Award
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016