Wauwatosa East rallied for four runs in the final two innings, but fell to Pius XI, 8-4, at Breitlow Field in a late morning game on Thursday.
The loss dropped the Red Raiders record to 9-20 and the Popes improved to 18-10.
Pius scored single runs in the second and third innings and then put the game away with six runs in the fourth inning.
Justin Pogodzinski had a 3-run double in the fourth inning to blow the game open. Sophomore Connor Senger allowed 8 hits, 5 walks and he fanned 3 batters for the win.
Riley Roe's RBI double and Kyle Dobbe's RBI single got Tosa East on the board in the sixth, cutting the lead to 8-2. The Red Raiders loaded the bases with no outs off Senger before Sam Matel came in and allowed an RBI single to Collin Trautschold and a sacrifice fly to add two more runs.
Trautschold pitched well in relief of Ben Carpenter. After giving up three of the six runs in the fourth inning, Trautschold slammed the door in the final three innings not allowing a hit and walking three in that span.
Carpenter doubled, singled twice and stole a bases in four at bats, while Bobby Russ continued his hot hitting from the lead-off spot going 2-for-3 with a walk. East finished with nine hits.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East boys CC team makes amends, heads back to state
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West spikers fall to Nicolet in regional
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 30, 2014 issue
- Girls golf: Wauwatosa girls golf team anticipates more success with three returnees next year
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West girls volleyball coach resigns
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 23
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Wauwatosa West football team eliminated from playoff chase
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014
- Wauwatosa West Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014